PDA

View Full Version : Is this Aiptasia ?

ccampo
02/19/2008, 07:42 PM
About one week ago I started noticing this in the tank :

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/ccampo01/Aiptasia.jpg

Is this Aiptasia ? (next to the "white" anemone)

There're like 7 or 8 in total in the tank, probably more as I can only count the ones that can be seen, their size is less than a penny.

I'm planning on getting a couple of peppermint shrimps to get some help before an infestation, I also read a thread where lemon juice or vinegar can be used, however how do you use that ? by injection?

Can I just take them out with my hand? or not recommended?

Tylt33
02/19/2008, 07:45 PM
Looks like aiptasia to me. You can try scraping them off, but good luck; I've chiseled and not been able to get them before. Injection is the best way to go imo, or with peppermint shrimp.

BLKTANG
02/19/2008, 07:45 PM
Yes they are.

Joes Juice is your friend.

petoonia
02/19/2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldnt pull them out they leave behind tiny pieces, and then regrow. Peppermint shrimp worked for me.

hanas
02/19/2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with petoonia, any pieces that fall apart into the tank and can possibly regrow. As mentioned earlier, Joe's Juice, or a high mixture of Kalk injected into the base will work. If the rock is easy to remove from the tank, I've taken a lighter to them and burned them off.

btkrausen
02/19/2008, 08:17 PM
I tried Joe's Juice for the first time about a month ago, and it works great. Peppermint shrimp will take care of the smaller ones, but usually don't touch the larger ones. I use to keep a Copperband just for aiptasia control, plus, he was a cool fish.

ccampo
02/19/2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks a lot guys.
I'll go to the LFS tomorrow and see if they have peppermint shrimps, how many do you think I need ? My tank is a 75g and right now the Aiptasia infestation is not too much I think.
Taken the rocks out to burn that pest sounds good too, there are only two rocks that are affected, so it should no be much trouble, however you'll never know if there are more waiting to show up.
If my LFS doesn't have those shrimps available where can I get them from?

btkrausen
02/19/2008, 09:28 PM
liveaquaria has them, but I'd try to get them from a LFS. I have two in my 40B, and they doa great job. Just a few in a 75 will be ok. They do all their work at night, so don't be surprised if you don't see them much.

k9gunner
02/19/2008, 09:34 PM
Will they eat themselves out of a diet once the tasia is gone?

btkrausen
02/19/2008, 09:36 PM
Not that I know of, cause I don't have any aiptasia left, but still have two running around. They are scavengers too, so they'll eat any uneaten food and such.

lloydkeller
02/19/2008, 09:51 PM
plain old lemon juice works great for me and a lemon isheap!!