PDA

View Full Version : chaeto question

an411
02/20/2008, 08:09 AM
Last night while doing a water change I usually dip my chaeto into one of the buckets of water that I am going to dump and it seemed like the ball was falling apart. There were little pieces of chaeto floating all over I took it out and put it in a bag with some water for the time being but it seemed like it was dead possibly I mean it was all still green but I never seen it were it was falling apart like that. Any ideas or anyone have this happen to them before?

celano
02/20/2008, 08:50 AM
Thats one of the things I dislike about chaeto its very brittle. Mine breaks apart if I even look at it funny...ok not really but you get what I'm saying. I rinse mine every other water change to get that built up crap outta of it and the same thing happens. Million little pieces floating around in the bucket.
I wouldn't be worried about it dieing unless it starts to turn clear.

an411
02/20/2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah I didn't think that it was dying cause that is what I heard about dying chaeto its turns clear and/or brown. This was still green as could be. I just never had that happen before where it was that brittle and falling apart like that. Maybe someone can chime in here does everyone have this problem or is there something else going on to make the chaeto fall apart like this?

evoracer
02/20/2008, 10:03 AM
Is it still springy? Or if you squeeze the bunch it just wants to break apart? I would keep and eye on it for the next few weeks, and test your water regularly. I had a large bunch die on me without warning and nearly crashed my tank.

papagimp
02/20/2008, 10:24 AM
If it's that brittle, I'd guess it's not doing very well.

an411
02/20/2008, 10:28 AM
yeah I mean I dont think that its normal cause I have never felt that before while rinsing it. usually the piece that you pull off all long and thicker then it was this time. Could it be that my system is so clean that it is dying off cause there are no nitrates and phosphates present. I am running a phosban reactor. I highly doubt that is the case. lol

an411
02/20/2008, 10:31 AM
Its not spriny or stringy seems like before if i pulled a string out it was long maybe about 3-4 inches now it is only 1 inch long when I pull a string out.

evoracer
02/20/2008, 10:34 AM
You could be over cleaning the water, it is possible I guess, but I have never been able to do it! Or the algae died. It's just a plant you know. Test your water and find out what your perameters are. Your fuge light is ok, right?

an411
02/20/2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah I just put a new bulb in about 2 weeks ago. I highly doubt that my water is that good I am going to check parameters tonight I did a water change last night and I usually wait till everything is settled to take tests.

papagimp
02/20/2008, 10:50 AM
An411, if the alage, macro or micro is doing well, you could very easily not find any nitrate or phsophate present. It'll show up as 0 because the algae is using it up as it's being introduced to the system. I have no nitrates or phosphates in my tank right now, but by god I have loads of nuisance bubble algae taking over. Got another tank same scenario but with hair algae everywhere.

an411
02/20/2008, 11:08 AM
I have no issue with any other type of algae I had a cyano issue a few weeks back and that seems to have cleared up. The crappy part about the cyano issue is I did a few different things to my tank so I am not sure which one really took care of the problem. I switched my lights from t5 to MH which in my opinion should of caused an algae break out but nothing so far still crossing my fingers. SO it could of been old bulbs I also took the top off my canopy to hang the new lights I am not sure if that had anything to do with it due to more gas exchange.