PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on RO/DI Water!

kremit2007
02/20/2008, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to know if I could buy the RO/DI water in the gallon jugs from the grocery store. Does this water contain the same minerals, etc. as the RO/DI which I buy from the LFS? The problem I am having is I live 45 minutes away from the LFS and really can't get there today but I have had a huge water loss the last two days and don't want the level to get too low and have chemistries spike. If I can't find RO/DI water together can I just buy the distilled (DI) water like they sell for babies? Give me some options here if any are available. Thanks!

HumanIMDB
02/20/2008, 08:51 AM
Grocery stores usually sell only RO water, not RO/DI.

DI = Deionization not Distilled.

RO water from the grocery store is better than tap water but I believe it is still only 90% pure where "good" RO/DI water is 99.99% pure.

Do you have a TDS Meter? If so, check the water at the grocery store to see what you are getting.

Like I said, using the RO water is probably better than leaving the tank low, but check what you're getting just so you know.

Hope this helps...good luck!

kremit2007
02/20/2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Human it helps a lot. Although, I do not have a TDS Meter yet. So your suggestion would be to buy the RO water for now to keep the level up? I am planning to do a water change here by the weekend so I will be replacing much of the water then. I just can't keep the level down to what it is at right now. Let me know, thanks!

As for the DI water, I dont know why I always thought they were the same thing, and I knew what DI stood for, but I guess I just thought it was two names for the same thing. Thanks!

stingythingy45
02/20/2008, 09:03 AM
I checked local Walmart Ro and it was 14 tds.
You might get a little diatom bloom going on from it.
But then again you might be fine.

kremit2007
02/20/2008, 09:08 AM
StingyThingy. IM tired of diatoms, Ive been battling them for a little while now, along with red slime algae which has now turned into more green algae! AHHHHHH SO you suggestion? Should I use the RO water from the store until this weekend when I have the real RO/DI water from the LFS? Thanks

HumanIMDB
02/20/2008, 09:17 AM
Using RO water today will be better than waiting until the weekend for RO/DI water.

What is your salinity like? I bet it has climbed a few points already.

What are your other levels like? They are probably starting to go up to as the volume of the tank decreases...

How often do you do water changes and what is your evaporation rate? I'm sure if you plotted the numbers, buying a good RO/DI unit will likely save you a lot of money in as little as a year.

We're getting a RO/DI Unit because we are starting up our big tank, but have been running with grocery store (Culligan) RO Water in our Nano for almost 2 years. While not "perfect" things have been very good.

kremit2007
02/20/2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks Human. And yes, unfortunately all levels including Salinity are starting to climb, not rapidly, but a definite change. Evaporation is almost uncontrollable right now, which really bothers me, ha...