02/20/2008, 02:15 PM
Tank specs are below in my signature.

Current fish:

Coral Beauty Angel
Yellow Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback
2 x Ocellaris Clown

I'm thinking along the lines of a benny or something else that will perch on the LR and corals. Maybe a hawkfish or clown goby.

Things to concider,

1) Must have color and personality
2) Open top tank, I'll put eggcrate over the tank for a week or so for the fish to get settled but I don't want any notorious jumpers
3) I have never paid over $50 for a fish and don't intent to start now
4) The Six Line is a minor bully to new tankmates, the clowns did just fine when I introducted them but luckily they took right to the RBTA

TIA

killagoby
02/20/2008, 02:18 PM
How's about a Blenny?

Bi-color or Sailfin?

Reeferhead
02/20/2008, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11897340#post11897340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by killagoby
How's about a Blenny?

Bi-color or Sailfin?

I'm concidering both. Unfortunately, the "search feature drought" :rolleyes: is severly hindering my research capabilities, so its tough to make a final decision on anything :D

Anyone have any expereince with two spot blennies

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1871

How big do these guys get? They look pretty small

Reeferhead
02/20/2008, 02:45 PM
On 2nd thought, I haven't had much luck with a couple of the algae eating blenny species, I don't think I have enough algae for them to graze on.

How about a Flame Hawk? Are they prone to jumping after settled?

trottman
02/20/2008, 03:22 PM
i love all of the hawks. flame hawks are awsome... i dont think you should worry about jumping. sometimes they are agressive, but i think one would be perfect in your tank.

they have good personality, but are not the most active fish out there.

Reeferhead
02/20/2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks trottman,

I'm thinking the Flame is the way to go but I'm open to other suggestions as well, maybe something a little more unusual.

Sk8r
02/20/2008, 04:03 PM
the fanged blennies can nip clams: a bad habit of theirs.
Small but showy, if you have a 20g fuge, a couple of psychedelic mandarins. Your zoas as well as mandys would like the pods.
Also interesting, the other common dragonets, the scooters. They won't like the dottyback, but there's no problem, imho. They only fight their own kind.

Reeferhead
02/20/2008, 04:12 PM
My 6-line has pretty much decimated my pod population. I don't think I have enough left to support a mandarin. Scooters kind of fall into the same boat, plus their not colorful enough for my taste.

bureau13
02/20/2008, 09:31 PM
I second (or third) the Flame Hawk. They're a nice red color, and they have more personality than anything in my tank. They will perch on any available spot and look worried all the time, and they're very aware of your presence when you approach. Supposedly they're shrimp munchers, but I've had mine with a blood shrimp and a skunk cleaner for over a year now and he never pays them any attention at all.

jds

Reeferhead
02/21/2008, 07:21 AM
No shrimp to worry about. Unfortunately, they always seem to disappear after keep a couple months. I think one of my serpent stars has a taste for them. I've seen him hunched up "setting a trap" waiting for anything to swim underneath. I've been contemplating getting rid of him.

If I do get a flame hawk, unless I can find a really small one, I think I'm going to wait a few months until my clowns gain a little size. They are still fairly small.

Any idea why flame hawks cost so much? LA has them for $55. Seems a little high for something so common.

rssjsb
02/21/2008, 09:29 AM
Hawkfish are great, and the flame is the showiest. You might want to ask around some more about jumping. I seem to have come across something in my research about them awhile back that led me to believe that this wasn't uncommon.

I've got a coral hawkfish, and love him. Not as showy as the flame, but cool nonetheless. He's never jumped, but has broken the surface of the water a couple of times. I keep my tank covered now to prevent trouble.

Reeferhead
02/21/2008, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11903309#post11903309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rssjsb
Hawkfish are great, and the flame is the showiest. You might want to ask around some more about jumping. I seem to have come across something in my research about them awhile back that led me to believe that this wasn't uncommon.

I've got a coral hawkfish, and love him. Not as showy as the flame, but cool nonetheless. He's never jumped, but has broken the surface of the water a couple of times. I keep my tank covered now to prevent trouble.

I've read in the past that most hawks are big time jumpers. I had a longnose years ago that "swam the carpet." However, I've heard form a couple guys locally that their own flames stay to the water. It's times like these when not having the full capablities of the search function is a real PITA.

Chelsey
02/21/2008, 09:54 AM
My favorites that I've had experience with:
bicolor blenny - these guys are fairly common and easy to get, always seem to be out and about. I had to get rid of my last one because he developed a taste for sps

two-spot (bimaculatus) blenny - I've only had one of these guys but am on the hunt for another. They stay relatively small. I think they're super cute but they do hide the majority of the time

tailspot blenny - my all-time favorite. I'm on my second one right now, the first once jumped (so be careful). They're super colorful and are absolute clowns. I highly recommend these guys :)

I've not had any experience with hawks but like with clown gobies I'd be afraid of them agitating my sps.

Reeferhead
02/21/2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks Chelsey,

There are two thing that concern me with trying another algae eating blenny:

1. I've tried both a regular algae eating blenny and an orange spotted blenny and I couldn't get either to fatten up. Shame to the orange spots are awesome fish.

2. I need a fish that can really handle his own with the sixline. The clowns would have been pestered to death if I hadn't selected ones that were already accustomed to anemones.

BTW, my wife shot down the Picasso Clown idea... and Rod's Onyx :(. So, I just bought a couple of Kathy's Ocellaris, in the end it was probably the right decision

jda
02/21/2008, 12:12 PM
Not many small fish can hold their own with a established 6 line. That is a tall task.

All other things considered, how about a midas blenny?

Reeferhead
02/21/2008, 12:34 PM
This sixline isn't terrible. He's never really went after any new fish other than the clowns which are about a 1/3 his size. Even then, he became bored of them after a couple days.

craiglanda
02/21/2008, 12:49 PM
i have a geometric pygmy hawk and its a great fish but rarely comes out..I can go sometimes a week or more without ever seeing him and right as i think it has died is when it pops up out of the rocks.. Not sure if the flames are like that as well...

Snapper66
02/21/2008, 05:33 PM
I have two Dwarf Hawk Fish and they are Great get along with my Clown Fish and Purple Tang and Blue Devil Damsels.The Hawks are in seperate Tanks they are a Great Community Fish and Stay Small about 4 Inches.:)

Reeferhead
03/07/2008, 10:09 PM
I ended up getting a Flame Hawk and he's awesome, gets along with everything. However, I think he maybe killing a couple of my Montipora digitatas by perching on them. Has anyone else had this problem?