PDA

View Full Version : T-5 HO or VHO

f150
02/20/2008, 05:45 PM
Hey Everyone, I have a 72" L tank and i am in the process of setting up llighting for it. So the question is what is the difference bewteen t5-ho and vho it seems that i can make a vho set up much cheeper then t5? I am startting with FOWLR then slowly ad corals. Also if i go with vho's do you think i can use 60" and be OK with dark spots. Thanks Mike:rollface:

f150
02/20/2008, 07:00 PM
??????

IPT
02/20/2008, 09:57 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I have read VHO's run hotter and are less efficent than T5's. Also they are larger so you can't fit as many over a tank. The same Icecap ballast can run T5's or VHO. Unless there is some major cost difference between the bulbs or endcaps I don't see why T5's would be more (except maybe to buy a Parabolic reflector - but that will increase your output by 30+ %).

tank o tang
02/20/2008, 10:24 PM
I have 3- 5ft vho aver my 125 and no light issues. As soon as I get the chance I'm changing over to t-5. Save since bulbs last twice as long, runs less elec on same ballast and gives better par. I will be running them on the same ice-cap ballast.

DarG
02/20/2008, 11:11 PM
It wont cost much more if any to do T5. The ballasts are cheaper and the difference will pay for the reflectors or close to it. Any more for T5 will easily pay for itself plus get your money back at the first bulb change with T5 lasting twice as long as VHO. Wattage is cut in half per bulb at HO levels with more light because of the reflectors ... which increase light making it into the tank by alot more than 30%

IPT
02/21/2008, 02:07 AM
Here's a semi-related question. Assuming you have an Icecap ballast running VHO's...is the wiring the same for the T5's? For an upgrade are we just talking snip the wires and replace VHO encaps with T5 endcaps with the same wires to the same terminals?

twon8
02/21/2008, 02:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11901680#post11901680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IPT
Here's a semi-related question. Assuming you have an Icecap ballast running VHO's...is the wiring the same for the T5's? For an upgrade are we just talking snip the wires and replace VHO encaps with T5 endcaps with the same wires to the same terminals?

you are correct sir.