PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab Deaths?

kennykimny
02/20/2008, 06:05 PM
Hello,

I have bought about 12 hermit crabs, and since then I've lost about 5 in a very short period of time (around 3 weeks). I have no idea why my crabs would die. Typically they are out of their shells, without the body attached. I just see claws and the very front of their body.

I witnessed one crab crawl out of its shell, only to simply die without any interaction from any of the other animals in the tank. That is, I don't think any of their tank mates are picking on them (other hermits or otherwise). I have clownfish, chromis, and a blue damsel.

I have plenty (around 8) extra shells.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

demonsp
02/20/2008, 06:06 PM
How old is the tank?
Whats the water readings?
How much LR and LS?
list all your equipment?
Water source and other stock?

useskaforevil
02/20/2008, 06:11 PM
are you finding the empty shells of all the crabs that die lieing around? was copper ever used in this tank? did you use tap water?

kennykimny
02/20/2008, 06:21 PM
I am using RO water, and I have never used copper/copper treatments in my tank.

kennykimny
02/20/2008, 06:21 PM
And yes, I am finding the empty shells as well.

paulallen
02/20/2008, 07:05 PM
Are you sure you aren't finding the hermit "bodies" from molting? I doubt you'll ever be able to count all 12 hermits that you put in your tank. Where did you get the hermits from? LFS; online mail order? What are you dosing? Do you do regular water changes or dose Iodine? Calcium and Iodine are important for the survival of shelled inverts.

Also, answer all the questions demonsp posted. The most information about your tank and parameters will help get your questions answered.