PDA

View Full Version : Coral Combo No No's?

lovethereefer25
02/20/2008, 09:28 PM
So a few months ago I bought me some mh's. By far the best thing I've done for the tank ever. Up until the mh's I had all softies. I immediatly bought some sps frags and have enjoyed the challenge. A buddy of mine(fellow reefer) came over the other day to checkout the tank, and when he saw my colt corals he told me that they shouldn't be mixed with sps. So this brings me to my question: What corals any and all should not be housed the the same aquarium?

Thanks

MCary
02/20/2008, 09:53 PM
Honestly, from a ease of maintaining viewpoint, soft, LPS and SPS should all be kept in their own system. Mixed reefs are troublesome. That does not me impossible or even hard, It just adds challenges. LPS send out long stingers, soft corals don't always appreciate the high flow. Calcium needs are different, temperature needs can be different, lighting can be problematic. Colt corals might thrive better in more nutrient rich water while SPS like it pristine. I know that I did not address your question directly but that's my opinion.

Mike

crt81
02/20/2008, 10:10 PM
Running carbon helps with the toxins released into the tank by the corals (softies). Neutralizes toxins.

lovethereefer25
02/20/2008, 10:32 PM
Ya I make sure to always run carbon and do my best to keep all my parameters where they should be. I just haven't read up on keeping sps and softies. Most of the softies are mushrooms and zoos. I only have a couple colonies of lps and they are candy cane's so they don't threaten anything. I just wanted to make sure these colt corals don't f up any of the sps.