PDA

View Full Version : What the heck kinda worm is this?!?!?

RoyalEnchntrss
02/20/2008, 10:15 PM
I saw this worm on Sunday morning in my 30G holding onto my feather duster and I turned the light on to see if it was attacking it and it went back in the rock real quick so tonight around 8 it was creeping towards my feather duster again and I got a picture... right here he's probably about 5 inches out of the rock....

http://hazyglade.com/images/100_2520.jpg

rickyfins
02/21/2008, 10:56 AM
Ugly guy for sure! I don't know what he is but I would get rid of it!

redhdmedic
02/21/2008, 04:13 PM
I've got one of those terribly elusive buggers in my reef...shows himself every month or so...looking like an euclid worm (I'm rather hoping not, but does look like it). I've been trying to trap him out, but no luck thus far...if you go after yours and get it out, please let me know! Good luck!

redhdmedic
02/21/2008, 04:34 PM
my bad...I'm having spelling/name issues today...that would be eunicid worm...lets all just ignore that 900 pound gorrila named "I can't spell" in the corner!

RoyalEnchntrss
02/21/2008, 05:05 PM
Urm... I just googled this worm you said about... and I DON'T want it!!!! I definately need to get it out though! It's attacking my feather duster at night and pulling its feathers off!! >:-I This is my forth feather duster in about a year so I'm wondering if this guy is the reason for alllllll of my problems! What have you tried to get him out??

redhdmedic
02/21/2008, 05:16 PM
Ive been attempting traps along the lines of bristleworm traps...but it seems the bugger never completely leaves a rock...at least not when I see it out. I've actually just "built" a bigger bristleworm trap as I have "bristle-snakes" (darn things got huge) and they simply go in the trap partially...eat the bait and bolt! I hope we both have some luck on our side soon! Let me know how it goes!

RoyalEnchntrss
02/21/2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks! My feather duster and I hope so! lol Im setting up a jar/bait trap tonight so we'll see if that works.. I'm hoping he's not long enough to be able to stay in the rock to get the food.. lol Keep your fingers crossed!! heres my poor feather duster. :(

http://hazyglade.com/images/100_2539.jpg

redhdmedic
02/21/2008, 06:03 PM
oh man! hopefully your duster recovers! our larger duster had it's "head" completely takn off by a seriously territorial bi-color blenny...we were absolutely devastated...then about a week later a new head appeared...it actually looks just as fabulous as before now! I feed a lot of dt's and other phyto/zoe...best of luck...I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

RoyalEnchntrss
02/21/2008, 07:06 PM
thanks! im going to try to feed tomorrow since ill probably be snowed/iced in.. he's very jumpy.. anytime i go in the tank he hides back in his tube so its hard to know that he got food.. :( I'll let you know in the morning if i get the bully!!

LeslieH
02/21/2008, 11:57 PM
That's not an eunicid. It's in the family Oenonidae and is either the mollusc-eating Oenone fulgida or a related species. Obviously they're predators and more than your feather duster is at risk. They won't come completely out of their burrows if they can help it so the trap will have to be as far away from the rock as you can put it. If you know where the hole to his burrow is have some big forceps at hand & try to grab the body at that point once it's as far into the trap as it will go. Failing all else you'll have to pull the rock & crack it or break down the tank since the worm may actually be living in the sand under the rock.

flyyyguy
02/22/2008, 12:20 AM
i used to have one of those a few years ago..........never did find out what it was but i plucked the sucker in half twice...never did get the whole thing
I would bait him and put tongs over his hole before he would even come out.........problem is he was too long so to get the bait he never had to come out far enough to get more than a piece fo him

I just dug up a coule of old pics......realized I have gotten a little better at photography since then.....tried to clean them up but they were so bad I couldnt

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/lifts/w2.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/lifts/w1.jpg

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 12:24 AM
Well since he was after my feather duster I moved him to my sump and the trap is set.. if he's not in there in the morning I'm going to take the rock he's in outside... theres some stuff growing on it but nothing that won't grow back.. just some zoos and a few mushrooms i think.. which i have a bunch of anyway.. I assume he's staying in this rock because its the only one I've seen him reaching out of... hopefully he IS staying in it and that will be the end of it.. haha if anything was easy I'd have a heartattack... but thank you so much for the reply. the trap is pretty far away so unless he's huge he's going to HAVE to come out.. I'll update in the morning, for now I'm off to bed!

flyguy - WOW that looks huge.. I hope mine hasn't got the chance to get that big! lol If you never got all of him whats he doing? Just reeking havoc on your tank? :(

flyyyguy
02/22/2008, 12:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11910099#post11910099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RoyalEnchntrss

flyguy - WOW that looks huge.. I hope mine hasn't got the chance to get that big! lol If you never got all of him whats he doing? Just reeking havoc on your tank? :(

wanna see something funny...look closely at that first pic........you can see the other end of him bottom left in that cave......he was slender but pushing 3 feet . who knows what happened to him. that was about 5 tanks ago and the rock was dense crap so i imagine i inadvertently unloaded him on someone else.

sorry to whoever bought that rock although im poretty sure I gave it pretty cheap....... LOL

ps-that worm could swim faster than my snowflake eel at the time and would stand up on end like a cobra.

LeslieH
02/22/2008, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11906741#post11906741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RoyalEnchntrss
Heres my poor feather duster. :(
http://hazyglade.com/images/100_2539.jpg [/B]

That's a great photo. If you don't mind I'd love to have a copy to use the next time I give a talk on worms on tanks.

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 11:06 AM
Oh thank you. sure you can use it :) PM me your email and I'll send you the full version. I love my new cameras macro shot. lol The trap didn't work so I'm going to take the rock out!

redhdmedic
02/22/2008, 11:27 AM
sorry to hear you didn't get him! thanks for the correction Leslie! Dang flyguy...somehow Enchantress and I must have gotten two halves of your wom! LOL...let me know how the worm hunting goes!

Unfortunately taking the rock out is not so much an option here as my favorite kenya tree is living there and dropping babies all over it! keep me updated though!

heuerfan
02/22/2008, 11:31 AM
Seeing that picture brought back very bad memories, i battled that worm for 3 years. Kills clams and snails, etc...

LeslieH is right, it is an Oenone fulgida. Good luck and i hope you only have one :)

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 12:42 PM
So short of taking the rock outside and smashing it to get the worm out... do you think i could fresh water dip it??? Its a nice huge rock and i'd really hate to ruin it!

heuerfan
02/22/2008, 01:17 PM
Only way to catch the worm in my experience is remove the rock that it is in, or wait till it is stretching out like in the picture you provided and grabbing it with tweezers.

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 01:39 PM
ugh.. guess the whole thing is coming out then cuz im not messing with that thing! lol..

LeslieH
02/22/2008, 03:08 PM
Some people have reported that taking the rock out & pouring club soda/seltzer water into the holes will flush out the animals. It's certain easier than smashing the rock!

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 03:37 PM
yea especially since i have mushrooms growing on it i'd sure like to keep!

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 04:17 PM
So this worm better be in this rock! We don't have any club soda in the house so i thought hmm what else can i do to kill this thing.. Soooo At this moment I have it in a bucket and I am pouring boiling water on it... lol if it doesnt come out.. it sure as heck should be dead!

flyyyguy
02/22/2008, 05:50 PM
boiling waer will kill more of that rock than really necessary.

Not sure if ti will work fo rthis guy......but what i hae done for numerous creatures in the past is prop the rock up over a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater...just a couple of inches above the water. within an hour or two most things will climb out and into the water. Then you only have the little bit of die off from being out of the water for a while...instead of killing so much in the process

plus if you dont actually see the thing.......who knows if you really got him....

probably too late though....I hope you got him.

Poor defenseless worm :( j/k :)

RoyalEnchntrss
02/22/2008, 05:56 PM
lol yep its way too late.. there was just like two stray mushrooms on the rock anyway.. who knows what was in it buttt... its out in the snow now.. i kinda like the look of teh tank without that huge rock in there... haha hopefully it was really in that rock though.. but now i can see all of my tank so if it would happen to come out of somehwere else I'd see it.. I guess only time will tell. I'll leave the feather duster in the sump for awhile though so he can recover.