PDA

View Full Version : Raising clownfish?

Twz
02/21/2008, 01:08 AM
Hello,
I'v been looking into raising clowns
and i think i would like to give it a try
Heres What i think i know(Please tell me if your experience has made you do something different)
Okay,
for the clowns first tank they will be in a 2 and a half gallon aquarium for easy feeding (Need less Food to get the density needed)
I painted this aquarium black Other then two long stripes for viewing (Seeing tank cleanliness
And to see the larva stomachs)
i have read on the black background eases feeding (the fish can see the food better on a black background?)
I will post a image below
I Have a single small rectangle wooded air stone (Is this enough?)
And a 125W Jagger heater which fit in this small tank nicely (Too large? Worried about the fish bumping into it and burning.)
I have read that i need to cover the little red light (The fish are attracted to light and would be cooked)
Is Electric tape safe for this or is there something els i should use?
I am also planning on using a small house hold incandescent light bulb (The kind used on small lamps) What times should the lights be on daily (Same as Display tank)?
i know they only feed when the lights are on so if possible could i get a light schedule?
For the food i am currently starting a culture of Rotifers and would like to use them as a sub culture in the larva tank (The rotifers will multiply in the larva tank)
At day four i should start adding BBS along with rotifers until day 7 then just BBS
Water changes
none of the articles really covered this
but i know i have to keep the ammonia down, its a small tank so I'm thinking 75% water Changes twice a day
I'm unsure now to remove the water with out taking the larva with it (Never seen one in life so i have no sense of scale)
and i know i have to remove gunk/Dead larva and other biotic items, Siphon this out with water? But once again not sure how big the larva are.
After the fish are completely on BBS i would like to move them to a 10G filled with water from the Display tank with a simple bubble,Foam filter
how long should they be kept in this tank?
I'm not expecting to have a large yield (would be quite happy to have four)
After about 15 days in this tank i would like to move them to there final tanks.
One being a 65G the other being a 125G both are new tank set ups
so they will not have any fish both will have anemones in them (the 65G has a bubble tip the 125 A hetteracis Magnifica (Spelling?))
the picture of the little tank is below.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/madclown/img00036-1.jpg
You can see the two unpainted stripes The large one in the center is for viewing the larva
And the bottom one is for checking cleanliness of the bottom
Please tell me anything i missed
Thank you,
Kyle.
P.S. I have posted this in the breeding form but due to that lack of threads im not expecting to get any response, so once again,
Thank you.

FishnWishn
02/21/2008, 05:39 PM
Looks like you are off to a good start. A few suggestions though, and every breeder has their own technique.
1. Paint over the 2 strips and keep all sides black. The larvae are attracted even to a pinhole of light.
2. Paint the bottom white or cover with white paper. This will allow you to see anything collecting on the bottom.
3. do not put your rot culture in your larvae tank or any water from a rot culture. this will introduce way too much ammonia. only put in what you need to feed them.
4. use an air wand under the heater instead of the wood diffuser. This will keep the larvae off of the heater.
5. Depending on what clowns you are raising , I would hold off on bbs until day 6-7.
7. Use the incandescant bulb if you want but do not put it over your tank, set it off to the side. they do not need much light. I keep the light on for the first 72 hrs to give them all the chance to find the rots.
8. Tape on the heater works but the bubbles under the heater will also keep them away. I use a stealth heater that has no light.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Twz
02/22/2008, 06:08 PM
With the Rots how could i feed it (im not home for 8 hours a day =S)
is a air wand the same as a small bubble wall?

FishnWishn
02/22/2008, 09:22 PM
Just keep a high density of rots in the tank in the morning and they should be fine until you get home. Yes, the bubble wall is the same thing.
Do you have a spawning pair now?