PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned my ozonizer - what was that stuff?

SDguy
02/21/2008, 09:23 AM
I've noticed lately a strong smell of ozone in the closet that my ozonizer is it, and also noticed that air wasn't flowing very well through the lines. So I opened it up and cleaned it out. There was this white powder stuff clogging the inside of the unit. What was it? I do run the unit with an air dryer now, but didn't for about a month or two. Could that be the cause? Just curious if I did something wrong, or if this is normal...

TIA

Billybeau1
02/21/2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think running without a drier was the cause. I don't know what it could be. Does the air pump pushing air through the ozonizer have a filter on it ?

Also is the white powder easily removed or is it crusty ?

SDguy
02/21/2008, 02:08 PM
The white powder was pretty easily removed. Quite "dry" . It's a standard airpump...I'd assume it has a small filter on it....I'll have to check.

Billybeau1
02/21/2008, 11:56 PM
Most standard air pumps have a small filter on them.

Now that you've cleaned the system, lets see if it comes back.

Milhouse
02/21/2008, 11:58 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say dust. Honestly, it was probably dust.

SDguy
02/22/2008, 07:17 AM
Perhaps dust, that's been bleached by the ozone? It was very white, but was not the consistency of dust. I will update this thread if it comes back. Thanks folks!

SDguy
07/17/2008, 08:34 AM
So, this happened again, on this unit, and I recently borrowed an old sanders unit. Same thing. Lots of white dust in the reaction tube. No one else gets this with their ozonizer? Am I doing something wrong?

Billybeau1
07/17/2008, 10:04 AM
I've been using my Sanders for over a year now. I don't see it.

I suppose it could be salt creep. Maybe try relocating the ozone generator further away from the top of the tank if possible. :)

SDguy
07/17/2008, 10:33 AM
It's already in a closet in the livingroom :)

Billybeau1
07/17/2008, 10:50 AM
OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Is the tubing you are using ozone safe ?

SDguy
07/17/2008, 12:01 PM
The tubing going to the ozonizer? No. The tubing from the ozonizer, yes.

KenStanley
07/28/2008, 09:55 AM
I can't tell you what the white powder is but I can tell you what the people at Red Sea told me, last week. According to them dust accumulates inside the unit and is normal. They recommend every 6 months to a year that you disconnect the unit and pump RO water through it to clean the dust. Perhaps what you are seeing is the dust they were referring to.

I did what they said but it didn't fix my problem (I didn't actually think it would but I thought I'd try), which is the display shows a constant -1,with or without the probe attached. When I called Red Sea back they told me the unit has a 1 year replacement warranty after that they don't offer a repair service. Therefore, I am left to replace a unit that is only 18 months old. Based on what I've learned from Red Sea I wouldn't buy another product from them, ever.

I'm now looking at the Ozotech Poseidon Jr. 100mg/hr. The unit carries a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. If anyone knows anything about it I'd like your input.

BrokeColoReefer
07/28/2008, 11:52 AM
i have the exact same residue in my sanders unit. I have to clean it out every 90 days. I have no clue what it is, but alcahol takes care of it pretty easily.

jdieck
07/28/2008, 12:25 PM
It is just dust that becomes ionized and gets attached to any surface that has a charge.
You will see the same thing on electronic air filters or those filters that have ionic emitters.
A better air filter at the air pump will help reduce the problem.

BrokeColoReefer
07/28/2008, 12:29 PM
my air pump is filterless, that explains it. Thanks jd.