PDA

View Full Version : I need help with algea nightmare

mbussart
02/21/2008, 09:38 AM
I had problems with algea last fall and was told to add a fuge and get more flow in the tank. I had the slime algea. Well after christmas I got a pre-drilled tank and added a sump and fuge underneath in the cabinet. I also put 2 kordla 3 for more flow and added them to the bottom to blow over the rocks. With them and the mag 12, I have to be around 2800gph but I have the green hair like algea and just noticed the slime algea coming back. Anybody have any ideas. The tank is a 125. I have the bright lights on from 11:30-8pm and the actics on before and after that for about an hour and a half.

ShannonT
02/21/2008, 09:47 AM
What else is in the tank? How long was it set up before the move? Sometimes you stir up a whole bunch of junk when moving tanks.

What are your nitrates and phosphates? Running any phosphate remover?

Are you doing regular water changes?

Algae problems are usually nutrient problems, meaning you have too many.

mbussart
02/21/2008, 10:03 AM
Fish wise there is a lion fish, 2 clowns (nemo's), and a mandrian goby. I have a star fish and some crabs.

I did a check and nitrites, nitrates, ph, alk, everything checked out ok.

I do water changes at least once a month and sometimes do them every other week.

cpl40475
02/21/2008, 10:12 AM
Be careful with the lionfish if the lion can fit it into his mouth HE WILL eat it. If there to big for him to digest properly it can also kill him.I also agree with shannon what are you water parems. One suggestion would be to add a phosban remover. From what I have read on here even though your tests will show no phospates there there and being consumed by the algea. As far as the red slime algea goes try reducing your photoperiod. If the tanks has only been setup a cpl of months its possible you still have the NEW TANK syndrome meaning your tank is still trying to get an equal balance of bacteria.

mbussart
02/21/2008, 10:23 AM
Ok, I will try a Phosban remover and see if that helps me out. I originally set the tank up in sept 07 and just switched out to a pre-drilled tank this Jan. I did use most of the water from the original set up as my dad and i have extra tanks around to hold the water.

Yea, I had a lion fish years ago and I know you have to keep them full or you will lose fish. Luckily I have not had a problem with this as he is fed daily. I know they are not the best fish to try to do a reef tank with, but it is my favorite fish and why set one up if you don't put your fav. in there.

cpl40475
02/21/2008, 10:32 AM
I love the lion fish he is probably my fav of all. Our LFS has two volitans right now and I'd love to have them. Unfortunately the majority of my fish are small right now. :( Im sure your using RO/DI water have you checked your RO filters they may be getting old and not doing there jop up to par also.

jimwat
02/21/2008, 10:45 AM
I have tried just about everything to get rid HA. Lots of things "helped" (some), but the most noticeable change occurred when I cut way back on my light cycle. I actually got so frustrated that I turned the lights out for a week and then slowly brought the light cycle up to 6 hours. All of the HA is now gone, and the softies that I have seem completely un-phased. I hate that I have less time with lights on to enjoy watching my tank, but I love the fact I only have to clean the glass once a week (diatoms...used to be daily).

If you have corals with high light requirements, this may not work for you. The only problem I had with my fish, is that they were a little confused when it came to feeding time.

I also found it helpful to use a spare PH and blow all of the detritus off the rocks once a week. Any buildup of detritus in the rock is a potential nutrient source for HA to grow.

BTW - I also run phosban, ozone, a denitrifier, and I wet-skim.

mbussart
02/21/2008, 11:29 AM
I have always had this problem and my dad's tank never has it and we use the same water for water changes. I will try changing out the filters as I have to to a water change anyways and I will get some Phosban and see if that helps.

If not maybe I will cut back on the lights a little more.

I really appreciate all the advise.