PDA

View Full Version : advice for first nano !

aLucidDream
02/21/2008, 11:11 AM
I've been in reefkeeping for awhile, but know almost nothing on nano tanks. I recently had to break down my 75gal, which is now home to a ball python. So I want to set up a nano, no fish. The deluxe ones come with pc's ? Correct, besides muchrooms what else could one keep in there using the pc lights. Also, in terms or setup what else will I need? Protein skimmer, heater, are there tanks with these things already built in? Well, I'm gonna look around the nano section a bit more....any and all advice...what to do what not to do...is welcomed.

Illuminati
02/21/2008, 11:18 AM
Just about any Softie or LPS would be fine under PC's.

None have a built in heater but I like those little titanium ones that can be hidden on the side glass towards the back.

Skimming is not needed and most don't use them in nano's. Chemical filtration like Chami-Pure or Purigen is fine especially if your not keeping a fish in there.

Here's my old Nanocube 24g, with no skimmer and just Chemipure and Purigen in media packets in the back chambers. Weekly water changes are the key. This will also help with seeing what corals you can keep (Basically everything except SPS)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/tank101820012.jpg

aLucidDream
02/21/2008, 12:24 PM
Whoa, that's actaully really beautiful. Well compared to a 75gal, I guess it is a lot easier. Once you get all your calcium, salt ect levels on point I hear there is less room for mistakes, is it harder to keep them all level due to less water ? Don't seem like much maintance. Once you get it running, how often do you change the chemipure and purigen?

zdawgnight
02/21/2008, 12:29 PM
if you ever feel the need to upgrade to sps its pretty easy i would just make sure to put a very small amount of sand down all sorts of crap can leach out of it over time and it can make for a mess of algae all over the place

Illuminati
02/21/2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the compliment.

I changed the Chemi-Pure and Purigen about every 2-3 months.

Your weekly water changes help replish your levels better than dosing but there are some 2 part solutions like B-ionic or Kent nano A & B that you can use. I never dosed when my system was softy and LPS but it's now SPS dominated so I dose a little bit.

Just get a nano with a closed hood and that will help a lot with evaporation.
Not sure what your budget is with the new tank but www.nanocustoms.com or www.nanotuners.com has great modifications to the stock tanks like Aquapods, Nanocubes and Biocubes.

One thing I got after a year was the 108W hood for my nanocube (Basically just adding another light bulb under the hood) and it helped and looked better (I even kept SPS under it for a short time).
They also have better cooling fans than the stock units.

Cadlights and Finnex tanks are also options and some of those tanks have skimmers or fuge's built in but are open top.

JAHGYDI
02/21/2008, 08:57 PM
c a d l i g h t s

wewerehere
02/22/2008, 01:19 AM
i like the Finnex 30... never owned one but they look incredible and i have never heard bad things... im sure the cadlight/finnex battle will rage on in this thread

Mark426
02/22/2008, 09:17 AM
Just look here:

http://www.nanocustoms.com

Best service there is, highest quality mods I have seen and they STAND behind their products. Do yourself a favor.

Mark

wewerehere
02/22/2008, 12:29 PM
+1 they are amazing

kingfisher62
02/22/2008, 11:05 PM
I have a 14g biocube with the stock lighting and have been able to keep a pretty good variety of corals. No sps's or clams though.
I have shrooms,brain coral candycanes ,pagoda cup, several zoanthids and palys,tree corals,ricordia and bubble.