PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis Filters & Deionizers, does everyone use them?

Loon
02/21/2008, 04:10 PM
Is there a alturnitive to using the Reverse Osmosis Filter & Deionizer for water? Does anyone do it differently?

SaltyDr
02/21/2008, 04:13 PM
You can get your water from the LFS or from Walmart. But for most folks it is a lot easier and ultimately cheaper to get a RO/DI filter. Look at the Filter Guys - great product, great price and superb service.

suzimcmullen
02/21/2008, 04:27 PM
I wanted something that wouldn't cost a fortune to have put on. So I called the Culligan people. They are coming out on Tuesday and putting a unit in my kitchen. It will make up to 30 gallons per day so I'll have no problem making my changes and storing enough for an emergancy. It's going to cost me 75 dollars to install, 20 dollars per month to maintain. It may seem expensive because I know there are less expensive options. But this way they are responsible to come out and replace filters or work on the unit if it breaks down. I'll not pay anything else for maintenance, repairs or filter replacements. I'll have it in my kitchen handy for cooking and drinking as well.

Suzi

James77
02/21/2008, 04:30 PM
Some LFS's sell it by the gallon if you don't need alot. But with water changes ans top off, a RO/DI unit will pay for itself quickly.

reeferhabit
02/21/2008, 08:04 PM
How easy are RO units to install? how much plumbing experience is needed?

brians4671
02/21/2008, 08:08 PM
e z just get a good one ezer

ccso139
02/21/2008, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11907992#post11907992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferhabit
How easy are RO units to install? how much plumbing experience is needed?

If you go the route that I did and use the washing machine faucet for your input: NONE!! All you have to do is buy a two way adapter.

reefergeorge
02/21/2008, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11908095#post11908095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccso139
If you go the route that I did and use the washing machine faucet for your input: NONE!! All you have to do is buy a two way adapter.
Same here. I used a splitter off my wash machine, and drain it down the standpipe. It is as easy as hooking up a garden hose.

reeferhabit
02/21/2008, 08:41 PM
how about if I wanted to hook it up below my kitchen sink. I am considering The Filter Guys unit

Shooter7
02/21/2008, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11906104#post11906104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by suzimcmullen
I wanted something that wouldn't cost a fortune to have put on. So I called the Culligan people. They are coming out on Tuesday and putting a unit in my kitchen. It will make up to 30 gallons per day so I'll have no problem making my changes and storing enough for an emergancy. It's going to cost me 75 dollars to install, 20 dollars per month to maintain. It may seem expensive because I know there are less expensive options. But this way they are responsible to come out and replace filters or work on the unit if it breaks down. I'll not pay anything else for maintenance, repairs or filter replacements. I'll have it in my kitchen handy for cooking and drinking as well.

Suzi

Is this an RO/DI, or just a "water treatment" setup? Something that makes drinking water is not the same as an RO/DI.

And I also did the same as the last couple posters with my RO/DI. A "Y" splitter off the cold water feed to the washing machine, run the RO/DI waste water line down the same drain the washing machine uses. Easy, easy, easy...

truckdoctor
02/21/2008, 08:59 PM
i have a culligan under my kitchen sink was here when i moved in it is ro/di unit.i dont pay by the month suzi.

reeferhabit
02/21/2008, 09:05 PM
Truck- do you change the filters regularly?

suzimcmullen
02/21/2008, 09:39 PM
They say just call anytime they need changed. I'll test the water to make sure it's ok. But they say if we say it doesn't taste the same they will come right away to change it.

Suzi

Reef of Eden
02/21/2008, 09:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11908860#post11908860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by suzimcmullen
They say just call anytime they need changed. I'll test the water to make sure it's ok. But they say if we say it doesn't taste the same they will come right away to change it.

Suzi

make them go off the TDS, who cares what it tastes like

Duff Man
02/21/2008, 09:47 PM
Be careful using a drinking system for the tank. Most systems that are designed for drinking use a filter at the end of the process that add stuff back into the water because the water made by a RO or RO/DI tastes bad. Drinking systems shouldn't be used for the tank.

suzimcmullen
02/21/2008, 09:52 PM
They claim it's just pure h20. Can't get any more pure than that.

Suzi

old salty
02/21/2008, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11908993#post11908993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by suzimcmullen
They claim it's just pure h20. Can't get any more pure than that.

Suzi

Trust me when I say, yes you can.

Shooter7
02/22/2008, 05:26 AM
Get a TDS meter and measure it. If it's pure, it will read zero. I suspect, though, that if you mentioned this to the culligan guy, he'll probably say, "A TD-what meter now? You don't need one of those...just taste the water...mmmmmmm" I mean seriously, how are you going to test that the water is "pure"?

dante7921
02/22/2008, 06:54 AM
There is not substitute for having your own RO/DI. Suzi, I wouldn't do the culligan thing. Just buy your own and hook it up. You'll end up spending more with culligan and their program. They are very very easy to install and it will pay for itself in no time. And just so you know, filter replacements for my unit only cost about 40 bucks a year! That's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

AZDesertRat
02/22/2008, 09:10 AM
By the time you pay $75 installation and pay abot 4 or 5 months at $20 a month you just bought your own RO/DI unit. The Culligan is going to be an RO only, low production rate, drinking water system. For about $160 you can get a 75 GPD true reef quality RO/DI system and for maybe another $70 or $80 you can get a drinking water kit for it too and stil have a 75 GPD reef quality system

If you can screw a garden hose on a hose/bib or faucet, you can install a RO/DI unit, it can be that simple.

suzimcmullen
02/22/2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe true, but my washer and dryer is in the basement and when it stops working I'd have to buy another. I don't have a lot of luck with gadgets lasting very long. I don't want the water downstairs and I'd never lug it up and down the stairs or run tubing all over the house. I'll do whatever water tests necessary on the unit and if I don't like the readings I'll demand new filters. I have tested the RO water coming from 3 different LFS and their water hasn't been perfect either.

People have been using tapwater in saltwater tanks for eons. A drinking quality RO unit will be good enough.

Suzi

Shooter7
02/22/2008, 09:30 AM
If RO were "good enough", you wouldn't have all these experienced people saying to use RO/DI.

Your tank, though.....good luck.