PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of a tank

Serpens
02/21/2008, 06:03 PM
I'm stumped on this one, so I'm bothering the internet for some advice.

I have, or rather had, a 125 gallon glass tank. It's about two feet deep and six feet long, and weighs about as much as my car. Unfortunately, both of the glass 'cross bars' that go across the top, front to back to lend support have split, making it unsafe to hold water. At least, without the support I'm not going to put gallons of water in there on a second floor apartment.

It's since been drained to near the bottom, it's still full of sand, and I'm at a loss of how to dispose of the damned thing. I have no interest in repairing it, as maintaining it was always too big of a job. Anyone have ideas of getting fifty pounds of sand out and where to dump the thing?

Bill FitzRandolph
02/21/2008, 06:24 PM
Get a few pictures, including what's "wrong" with the tank, and the dimensions, and then put a "Large aquarium. Free to a good home, you haul it away" ad on Craig's list (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ca and then pick the appropriate cities) and in the used equipment forum here on RC. Include the pics, full description and dimensions, and you should easily find someone that will haul it away for you.

Serpens
02/21/2008, 06:47 PM
Tried that already. No one seems willing to touch it. Got plenty of offers on the overpowered lighting system though.

I've resigned myself to paying my hulk-like room mate to dump it.

MeuserReef
02/21/2008, 07:00 PM
If you live near a construction site, you could ask if they would mind letting you throw it away there. They usually have the open trash containers for all kinds of large debris.

BruiseAndy
02/21/2008, 08:59 PM
sell it as a terrarium

Nedley Mandingo
02/22/2008, 06:59 AM
Offer it up to the local reef club.
Someone may want it just for the sand, or as a project like a large sump (all the baffles could strengthen it back up and sumps don't normally run full anyway), or just to practice drilling glass on.

hebygb
02/22/2008, 08:12 AM
great suggestions here... and here is a bump to help out your cause.

siropa
02/22/2008, 10:12 AM
i'd say look if there are any local reptile groups in your area. i'd be shocked if someone didn't want it for a snake or something. i've gotten rid of a couple of larger old tanks to reptile folk.

RandyStacyE
02/22/2008, 03:12 PM
You can purchase top and bottom plastic frames for it. This is not that expensive ... I was shocked to see how inexpensive (thought it would be more).

I'll see if I can find the link.

My point is, replacing the trim should be easy and would DEFINITELY increase the value of the tank.

You could contact local pet shops, they sell them on consignment and if you never hear back from the, it sounds like you don't care :) One of them may also be interested in owning it themselves; like BruiseAndy and others mentioned, it could be used for reptiles.

If this is usefull live sand (or was at one time) your local pet shops may be interested in that too.

kgross
02/22/2008, 11:54 PM
Fix it. Since you have glass cross braces it is actually very easy to do. Just cut out both of the current braces and scrape off all of the silicone you can with a razor blade. Then use some acetone to clean up the edges of the tank and the braces and silicone them both back into place. It is not that hard to do, and it will make the tank as good as new.

Kim

46FiatYamaha
02/23/2008, 07:46 AM
I used a big square tupperware container to scoop out the sand when I moved my tank

BlakDuc
02/23/2008, 01:17 PM
Dustpan.

laverda
02/23/2008, 02:34 PM
I am surprised no one has grabed it up for a sump. Try advertisine it as one here. lots of people need big sumps and the top praces will not matte as it will not be full and if diveders are added they will increase the strength too. If fact now that I think about it I might be interested depending on the deminsions.

jmkarcz
02/23/2008, 03:34 PM
Call a few local schools or animal rescue agencies, a school may jump on it as a reptile or furry critter tank... or the animal rescue agency as a holding tank for animals waiting to be adopted. I would photo it and write a description, "free to a good home" and hang it at the local busy supermarket and pet store. be surprised it it lasted two weeks..

If you donate it, you may be able to use the credit on your taxes. You won't recv the $ now, but at the end of 08.... and this way you won't have to ask money for it.

I'm claiming Siropa's ^^^ turtle as a dependent next year. :P

J

roxy
02/23/2008, 08:11 PM
If you really don't feel that anyone would take it away, haul it outside and break the glass. It's doubtful that anything other than the bottom panel, if that at all, is tempered and it could easily be dropped into your community glass recycling bin. One way or another it can be reused.