PDA

View Full Version : hippo tang in a 24 gallon

WM15
02/21/2008, 07:21 PM
alright before anyone tears my *** up for doing this i would like to state the reason.

one of our family friends had to break down his 125 gallon reef tank. he had two 2 1/2 inch hippo tangs one went in his 24g nanocube and since the tank would be to small for 2 of these tangs he was wondering if i could kept 1 of them in my 24g nanocube for at most 2 months.

the only inhabitants of the tank are a skunk cleaner shrimp a 2 in bicolor angel, a 3 1/2 in saddleback clown and a 6 1/2 inch RBTA.

Toddrtrex
02/21/2008, 08:09 PM
Even though it will only be for 2 months at most, I think it is a bad idea. In this case, I just see it being under a lot of stress. Saddlebacks can be very very mean, and there really won't be anywhere for the tang to hide. And sure the angel won't be too happy about it either. If there is no other options, not much you can do, but I think finding a better place to hold it would be best for all.

WM15
02/21/2008, 08:44 PM
ok but the clown is very docile and just hides in his nem whenever the bicolor comes by and ive seen the hippo in his big tank, and he can hold his own with other larger fish. the only thing is is even tho this maybe to small of a tank for a month and a half i was just wondering if, since the bibolor is blue and the hippo is blue, that would cause problems.

46FiatYamaha
02/21/2008, 08:51 PM
probably the biggest problem would be the tank dimensions, even though the tang is only two inches, it needs lots of room to swim around, or it could get stressed and possibly get ich, which tangs are prone to getting, and then spread it to all the other fish, which would be a bad deal

OranguTang
02/21/2008, 08:56 PM
Too much stress IMO...I would look into having a fellow reefer with a larger tank or a reputable LFS to hold the fish. Both of them...

WM15
02/21/2008, 09:12 PM
alright thanks for all the help i think ill opt out of the tang and look to finish the fish list with another black saddleback clown(that is if i can find one)

lowendmelody
02/21/2008, 11:32 PM
what your friend did is cruel and unreasonable. That tank is too small for most of the fish we keep, nevermind one of the fish (a tang on top of it) that are in need of the most swimming room.

don't follow his lead, please for the animal's sake.

t5Nitro
02/22/2008, 06:54 AM
Agreed with what others have said, but also that fish load. That nem is probably your biggest contributor to your fish load and then add another high load fish (tang). Bad idea, maybe would mess your ammonia/nitrates up or something, and swim room issues as others said. Good choice leaving him out.

SDguy
02/22/2008, 07:43 AM
I have to echo everyone else here....that tank is FULLY stocked as is!