PDA

View Full Version : Current Outer Orbit, recommend it?

rhinochaser
02/21/2008, 10:15 PM
Im thinking about getting a Current USA 24 inch Outer Orbit 1x250w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x24W T5 HO, anyone hve any experience with this model, any size. Pros VS Cons. Its a toss between this and the aquamedic.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AQ1811.html

Milhouse
02/21/2008, 10:29 PM
I have one and I think it's great. It's not the best out there, but it works pretty good for me. I really like the blue led moonlights it comes with. The bulbs it comes with aren't great, but they work. I would change out the MH bulb and probably keep the t5's until it's time to replace them. I just changed out all of my bulbs. I went with an AB 20k for the MH. Since that bulbs is pretty blue and dimmer than the 10k, I changed the T5's I had. I went with 2 10k and 2 pure actinic bulbs. I prefer the "dusk/dawn" look of the old blues and actinics, but the 10k's really compliment the 20k MH bulb well.

sditch
02/21/2008, 10:56 PM
Great Unit....I have the 48" 2x250watt version and it a great fixture, not the best bulbs but great fixture.

A.T.T.R
02/22/2008, 12:00 AM
bulbs are fine ( compared to coralife)
i get incrediable growth and color under one of the old mh/pc units.. havent tried the mh/t5's yet

topfeeder
02/23/2008, 09:51 AM
Yes I would recommend them. I think they are great even with the bulbs that come with the unit. The bulbs can be changes as you know and some on R.C. recommend that. The only drawback is the fan is noisy, and this has also been pointed out here. The fan can be clanged and I might in time go to a quieter one. Just wanted to point the one drawback I saw. The adjustable cables are also a plus, not sure if you will use them but if you do you will love that features.