PDA

View Full Version : Did cyano kill my finger? (pics)

E&Js
02/22/2008, 09:29 AM
I noticed my finger leather (who was partially hidden by rocks) hasnt been doing too well the last few days. I did about a 40% water change of the tank yesterday and moved a few rocks to see what was going on with him. Oddly, his base was covered in cyano. I sucked it off/out and today he looks as if he is partially disinegrated. He lost his color (yellowish orange) and some of his 'fingers' appear to be breaking off. Is he a gonner or should I just keep an eye on him? Everyone else in the tank is great. Thanks!

E&Js
02/22/2008, 09:30 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/ejensen12/finger1.jpg

johnd4g
02/23/2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know if the cyano is the culprit, but it does look like he's a goner. When leathers die, as with most softies, they start to disentegrate. I'd get him out of there and do another pwc to eliminate any toxins released by the dieing coral.
Good luck.

davidandliz
02/24/2008, 12:26 PM
my leather started doing that as well but found out it was becuase i changed my flow and it wasnt getting enough flow .. once i fixed the problem he slowly started to heal up extending, this was a recent issue.

saltydude
02/24/2008, 06:46 PM
Leathers need good flow to keep them thriving. They produce a waxy coat that needs to be blown off or they will probally die.