PDA

View Full Version : How many dwarf angels in one tank?

dallasdallaghan
02/22/2008, 01:18 PM
Hi there,, i have heard that quite a few people have kept a lot of large angels together ""notably Wayne Shang" for long period of time,,,, i was just curious how many dwarf angels have been kept successfully together in one tank

rbursek
02/22/2008, 01:22 PM
I have been told 1, but that depend on the size of the tank.

dallasdallaghan
02/23/2008, 01:50 PM
Hi Nanook,,, if this topic is in the wrong forum could you bounce it to an appropriate one,,, very little response
many thanks

rollnheavy
02/23/2008, 03:20 PM
i tried a flame with a coral beauty and i did not work very well.

rbursek
02/23/2008, 09:00 PM
Dallas. where would you suggest it goes? That was rude of you, Reef, New to the Hobby, Lighting and Filtration, Chem, DIY,???????? Where do you get off!!!!! And no suggestion to where to post it!!!! You made a statement, then give a suggestion to go to the right post!!!!!

mfinn
02/23/2008, 09:08 PM
I have a flame, a coral beauty, and a pygmy in my 240.
I had the 3 above and a potters in my 180.

rbursek
02/23/2008, 09:09 PM
Dallas.
but you did word it politely!

dallasdallaghan
02/24/2008, 03:26 AM
I dont know how i could off possibly insulted anyone,, but if i have i apologize,,, but i`m sure not everyone reads all the forums sections, and maybe i had posted in the wrong area and maybe it should be in the aggressive fish section "my own stupidity"... rbursek i did realize it was possible to keep one angel.
many thanks to all that have replied :rollface:

dallasdallaghan
02/24/2008, 04:49 AM
hi mfinn,, thats pretty impressive, did you have many battles on your hands at the start ,,, i read somewhere that if you introduce them together would be your best chance for success or if you include a lot of mid swimming like chromis this keeps the angels busy so they wont get to much of a chance to focus on any one individual.. "i don`t know how true this is"................ the individual personality from same species fish must be very different from fish to fish rollnheavy had the same fish but was not as lucky

mfinn
02/24/2008, 09:26 AM
There have been almost no battles. They all seem to get along fine. Occasonaily one will chase the other for a few seconds, but that is about it.
One of the things that works with more than one in the same tank, is space. I wouldn't try this in a 4' tank.

I didn't think it would be possible to keep more than one of the same types,, like 2-3 flames in one tank, but I recently read a thread where several people are doing just that.

You're not suppose to be able to keep more than one tang of the same species in the same tank, but I had two hippo's in the same 180 for about 6 years. So,,who knows????

jjmcat
02/24/2008, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11924872#post11924872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbursek
Dallas. where would you suggest it goes? That was rude of you, Reef, New to the Hobby, Lighting and Filtration, Chem, DIY,???????? Where do you get off!!!!! And no suggestion to where to post it!!!! You made a statement, then give a suggestion to go to the right post!!!!!

Your kidding right?

jjmcat
02/24/2008, 11:06 AM
I had a buddy keep 2 pygmies in his 250 gallon corner tank.I never saw them fight.He also kept a coral beauty in there as well.

dallasdallaghan
02/24/2008, 12:50 PM
hi there,, the Pygmy Angels are supposed to the best bet alright! they have the mildest manor and the Japanese Pygmy Angel is my favorite
check out the link $$$$$
www.marinecenter.com/fish/angelfish/japanesepygmyangel/
""what i could do with a high disposable income""

cayars
02/24/2008, 01:26 PM
I've got 2 flame angels, potters, golden, rusty and 2 coral beauties in a 265 with 30 other fish or so.

Been together for a couple of years. It's hit or miss depending on the tank setup and appropriate hiding places and whatnot. Having a tank with lots of "turmoil" helps too.

Carlo

dallasdallaghan
02/24/2008, 02:04 PM
Now thats a tank i would like to get my hands on,,, do you have any pictures and how did you introduce them

tcmfish
02/24/2008, 05:11 PM
If you get some very small ones and a larger one you could keep a few of the same species. They will usually form a pair or harem and probably spawn for you especially in deep tanks.

cayars
02/25/2008, 07:32 AM
Didn't do anything special Dallas. I think the order of introduction was something like:
coral beauty
flame angel
potters angel
golden
flame angel
rusty angel
coral beauty

In the beginning there would be a little dominance here or there but nothing I'd call a problem. I think the size of the tank helps a great deal in doing this.

Carlo

elblond
02/25/2008, 08:49 AM
Hi:
I've a Lemonpeel and a Flame in my 65 Hex, with no problem.

TheFishGuy,LLC
02/26/2008, 12:32 AM
I used to have a Flame and a Potters in a 90 and never had any issues. Flame was introduced first and the Potter's a few months later.

Nanook
02/26/2008, 08:38 AM
[moved]

Gwynhidwy
02/26/2008, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking of trying a group/harem of Centropyge sp. myself. There are a few people that I know who have successfully kept more than one species of Centropyge together and two with harems of the same species. From what I have read it is best to have lots of live rock, as large an aquarium as you can muster as more space seems to result in fewer squabbles, keep them well fed, and introduce them all at the same time.

The harem that I know of with the longest success, the person who keeps them swears that the secret to long term success is having a fish in the tank with them that is slightly larger and more boisterous than the angels. He believes this limits the aggression amongst the angels themselves because they are not as focused on each other all the time.

You might visit this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903963

ACBlinky
02/26/2008, 11:14 AM
I kept a flame and coral beauty together in a 65g, no issues at all. They were with another angel (A. trimaculatus) who was definitely head of the pecking order, but all got along just fine.

racerw
02/26/2008, 11:39 AM
I wish I was one of the lucky ones who could say I can keep several different types of Centropyge in a tank. I did have a trio of resplenden/fisheri in a tank w/a pair of Joculators with absolutely no problems.
I came across a pair of Interruptus for sale & could not pass them up (my dream fish). I wanted them to go into my SPS 210 (has tons of rock & hiding spaces) w/my Joculators and hybrids & was prepared to try different ways to get them use to each other. I was not worried about the hybrid trio due to their small size. I received the Interruptus pair (both male & female were larger than my Joc pair) & tried them out in the 210. No way was it going to work, I think my male Joc would of killed my male Interruptus if I would not of pulled him out. I than tried to put the Joculator in a collection container so they could see each other just not get to each other, all they did was fight thru the acrylic. Needless to say I gave up & they are now in seperate tanks.

cbui2
02/26/2008, 01:08 PM
i been pretty lucky with lemonpeel and potters in main display. the more aggressive one was the flame angel, when they were all introduced in QT at the same time the flame had taking over the 135gal QT and didn't let anyone eats, so a divider was place in the middle to separate the flame angel.

dallasdallaghan
02/26/2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks to all for contributing info ,, thats an awesome link six flame angels ... and ""racerw"" how much did the Interruptus pair cost you,,,
this would be crazy in Ireland. no Interruptus but,, check out this link for Irish fish prices " remember 1 euro is $1.49 " www.fishantics.com/livestock.asp
O to be a fishkeeper in American.:eek2: