PDA

View Full Version : How to keep algae gone!

Txcowboy22
02/22/2008, 01:30 PM
Ok so, I get hermits and then most die within 2 months and then my algae starts creeping back. I was thinking about getting a black yellow tail blenny but I don't want something that might nip at my corals, I do you blue life phosphate remove and my test kit says that the phospate are around 0. Although I doubt thats the case, should I just buy 25 more hermits and plan on doing that every few months or get a blenny or what? I don't have a sump so the fuge is pretty much out of the question.

tami1024
02/22/2008, 01:43 PM
The best remedy is to drop your phosphate level. Algea thrives on phosphates.

Txcowboy22
02/22/2008, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11913851#post11913851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tami1024
The best remedy is to drop your phosphate level. Algea thrives on phosphates.

Well, what do I use? I am running chemi pure elite and I am using blue life phosphate control. My salfert test kits reads close to 0.

csb
02/22/2008, 01:49 PM
Got snails??

Txcowboy22
02/22/2008, 01:50 PM
I have a few snails

jbeltmann
02/22/2008, 02:13 PM
Make sure you use a good quality GFO and change it out every 4 weeks. If you aren't using rodi water I would suggest using that as well. You will also want to replenish the clean up crew as over time they will die off. Just because your test kit says you have zero phosphates doesn't mean anything. The algae will consume the phosphates before it will measure on the test kits. If you have algae in your tank, you have excess phosphates.

Txcowboy22
02/22/2008, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11914107#post11914107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbeltmann
Make sure you use a good quality GFO and change it out every 4 weeks. If you aren't using rodi water I would suggest using that as well. You will also want to replenish the clean up crew as over time they will die off. Just because your test kit says you have zero phosphates doesn't mean anything. The algae will consume the phosphates before it will measure on the test kits. If you have algae in your tank, you have excess phosphates.

Yeah, thats what I was told. Do you think a black blenny would be a good pick up or should I just buy some more crabs. By the way yes I use ro mix and I do a 5 gallon water change everyweek on my 46 gallon....

JimKelly12203
02/22/2008, 02:25 PM
seems to me that you're going to be battling this problem forever if you don't get yourself a fuge to grow macro-algae in.

Have you looked at any of the narrow hang on the back fuge options out there? They actually look rather nifty to me and take up less than 6-8 inches behind your tank.

It would require that you do a little bit of rearranging i'm sure, but nothing that couldn't be done with a little planning.

Txcowboy22
02/22/2008, 02:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11914208#post11914208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JimKelly12203
seems to me that you're going to be battling this problem forever if you don't get yourself a fuge to grow macro-algae in.

Have you looked at any of the narrow hang on the back fuge options out there? They actually look rather nifty to me and take up less than 6-8 inches behind your tank.

It would require that you do a little bit of rearranging i'm sure, but nothing that couldn't be done with a little planning.

I forgot to tell you I have a small hob fuge now with cheato in it. I was thinking about removing it but the cheato grows pretty quick, I dunno if it large enough its a DIY aqua clear 70, pretty much the biggest thing I have room for on the back

seapug
02/22/2008, 02:40 PM
A Phosban reactor would be a much better use of your $$$. They are quite cheap and you can set them up as an HOB with a powerhead in the tank. Very simple and they work GREAT.

Mappelbaum37
02/22/2008, 03:00 PM
is it possible that you dont have any excess phosphates or nitrates in the tank but the lighting is causing the algae? I have an algae problem now as well and was wondering if I should get the same blue life phosphate control that he is using, change my lights, or something like that. I was going to get a hob fuge but i was told they're a PITA to maintain since they're in the back and so small.