PDA

View Full Version : New Chalk Bass Hiding!!

DarthSimon
02/22/2008, 03:11 PM
Guys,
I put a new Chalk Bass in my 120 Display, been 2 days now... Have since a glimpse of him 2 times... But then darts into the rocks.

My LFS has a nice one on their 900 Gallon Display tank that as all over, and swims open water... You think he is just being shy to start?? Or are these guys cave dwellers??

philter4
02/22/2008, 04:07 PM
Chalk bass hide when they are scared or stressed, like when moved to a new tank. In the wild when you chase one to collect it they run for a few feet, then hide under a rock or a crack in the reef, sometimes they go into the tube of a sponge then they are the easiest to catch, just put your net over the opening and chase it out of the tube. Give it time to settle down and the hiding will stop.

Good luck with him

nellahtes
02/22/2008, 04:08 PM
i had a pair and they spent most of their time under an over hang in the rock work. always in sight just stayed under the rock. only came out when it was time to feed.

DarthSimon
02/22/2008, 04:12 PM
Kool... But I don't see him coming out during feeding time... :(

DarthSimon
02/22/2008, 04:56 PM
Update... basted some food in the tank, and he made an appearance... I now see where he is dwelling... I could swear he took a bite or 2 of food that passed by... He then went back to hiding...