PDA

View Full Version : Tang Compatability and Options

jlunde
02/22/2008, 03:26 PM
I'm going to be setting up a 178 RR tank that is 60.5" long x 24.5" wide" x 29" tall. What can I get for tangs. I'm starting to learn you can't get two of the same type of tang species, but here's the ones I want: Blonde Naso tang, Powder Blue or Powder Brown, Purple Tang, Yellow tang, Achilles Tang. What else? I know I need to pick between the Powder Blue and Brown - I heard the Brown's are hardier. Is that true? Are Tangs more susceptible to ich than other fish? What's the risk?

tanker
02/22/2008, 03:34 PM
Tangs fight. This is a given, but different fish have different personalites. I have a purple that is very passive, but also have a yellow that is VERY mean. :mad2:

Hard to really answer. I (personally) would not have more than two tangs in a 178gal ( but I did have 3 in my 120).

JimKelly12203
02/22/2008, 03:36 PM
There are some here that are far more knowledgible than I regarding tangs.

My advice (which is solely based on research i've done) is to make sure that the two tangs you get have different body shapes.

For example,

powder blue + powder brown = fighting.
Yellow + Purple = fighting.
etc...

Based on what i've read, mother nature seems to have given these animals a fight instinct towards species that look, swim and eat the same. It makes sense. In the wild they cover vast distances foraging and i'm sure they're not thrilled with competition.

Tangs are suseptible to ick and other diseases. The risk is substantial in some species. Probably your best bet is to make sure you have cleaner shrimp in place with a cave of adequate size for them to turn into their cleaning station.

If you have a quarantine tank, i believe this is also a wise move. Problem is, you may want two quarantine tanks because it's going to be pretty important that you introduce the two tangs at the same exact time. If you stagger their introduction into the tank, the one that was placed in first is likely to have "claimed" the tank as his turf. That will make him/her aggressive.

I would introduce two tangs of different body shape at the exact same time after a quarantine period. I would shut the lights off in the tank for a full day at least after they are introduced. You want them to be confused so that they don't have time to worry about fighting over tank space.

Finally, make sure they are eating sea based plants (nouri) asap to help their immune system and you may even want to look into doing a fresh water dip prior to introduction to the Quarantine tank and then another one prior to introduction ot the Display Tank. Fresh water dips seem like an insane thing to do to a delicate salt water fish that costs 50+ bucks. But i have asked a great many aquarist if they think the proceedure is useful and safe. I have yet to have someone tell me that it's not. Google that proceedure if you're interested. The parasites can't hanlde the fresh water, but the fish can for short periods of time.

I hope that helps. It's really just me regurgitating stuff i've read over the years as i plan my tank out. I'm sure there are others here with more practical hands on advice/experience.

jlunde
02/22/2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you very much for this helpful information! I'll probably go with a powder blue, a purple tang and a naso tang. I believe they are all different genus' of tang, so hopefully that will work.

yoboyjdizz
02/22/2008, 05:00 PM
I would skip the naso as they will become to big for your tank. A powder blue and purple would be a nice combo for your tank. You could try to go with a kole with mix. Best would be to add them all at the same time and add the rest of your fish first.

jlunde
02/22/2008, 05:03 PM
How big of a tank do you need for a Naso? 178 gallons (60") long, isn't enough?

sufunk
02/22/2008, 05:22 PM
Usually, people will say an 8ft tank is the minimum for a Naso because of the size they will reach.

Almost everyone will say that 60" is too short and definitely too small long term. Imo, you will have trouble in that size with a Naso.

That being said, i do have one in my 180g with a blue hippo, lietunant tang and an orange shoulder and they all get along great and are doing well. Even my 180g is too small by most advice though and i wasn't going to get it but recently had a moment of weakness and added it:o My tank is 72" and i have my Tunze's at full blast adding some resistance for him to swim in. Also, My rockwork also gives tons of room to swim and hopehully will upgrade bigger within 2 years before he outgrows the tank.

Imo, i think 60" is too small unless the Naso is very small or you are definitely upgrading in the near future.

Reeftanks6
02/23/2008, 05:37 AM
i would skip on the naso and go with the purple and PBT. I think they will be great choices for your tank.

JCR's Reef
02/24/2008, 07:52 AM
The Naso's are a beatiful fish, but they need the room to swim. They pace back and forth all day long.

jlunde
02/25/2008, 08:23 AM
60" is as big of a tank as I can get for a very long time, so with everyone's advice, I will skip the Naso. Powder Blue and either a purple or yellow tang is what I'll get.

One more question. I know I can only have 1 PBT, but I've seen folks w/ multiple yellow tangs in 1 tank. Is this recommended? Can I get two purple's? I know I have to introduce all these fish at the same time, regardless. Thanks for everyone's help.

JCR's Reef
02/25/2008, 05:31 PM
Alot of people say only one tang per tank. However some have been successful putting an odd number of tangs (3) so that not only one tang is being bullied. If you get 2 one will bully the other one to death, so I would get 3 of the very smallest you could find, or you could just get 3 different species.

rbursek
02/25/2008, 05:41 PM
I have a Purple and Sailfin, add at the same time, same body shape and get along, friend tried it with a Purple and Yellow, same body shapes a disaster, the Yellow one out.

sunfish11
02/25/2008, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11914728#post11914728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlunde
I'm going to be setting up a 178 RR tank that is 60.5" long x 24.5" wide" x 29" tall. What can I get for tangs. I'm starting to learn you can't get two of the same type of tang species, but here's the ones I want: Blonde Naso tang, Powder Blue or Powder Brown, Purple Tang, Yellow tang, Achilles Tang. What else? I know I need to pick between the Powder Blue and Brown - I heard the Brown's are hardier. Is that true? Are Tangs more susceptible to ich than other fish? What's the risk?

The others are probably right on the naso but you could get away with it. You will have to pick either the powder blue, powder brown, or achilles. All of these are difficult to keep and real ich magnets. My friend does have a powder blue and an Achilles but he also has a 300 gal tank so it can be done. Tangs do seem to be more susceptible to ich. They don't have scales and they stress out a lot. Stress = ich or at least makes a fish more prone to it. I do have 3 acantharus in my 210 gallon including an achilles, orange shoulder, and a convict. I also have a naso in there. They get along fine as long as they all stay out of the achilles way. Get either the purple or the yellow but probably not both.

There are a lot of great tangs out there to choose from. From your list I would get the naso (I think your tank is big enough), purple, and achilles (you need a lot of flow for the achilles). Achilles have terrible survival rates though so you may want to consider some others. I waited till my tank was very established (2+ years) before I tried one. He was the last fish I added to the group. For me the achilles is the holy grail of tangs and if this one died I swore I wouldn't get another one. Remember that to keep tangs healthy you need to feed the heck out of them. That may send your water params into a downward spiral so as you add fish watch your parameters to make sure your filtration can handle it.

Lisa

Reeftanks6
02/25/2008, 06:00 PM
Agree with the above that is great info to take into consideration. I think you should go with a Naso Purple and a achilles or PBT. These would be great choices

sufunk
02/25/2008, 06:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11940028#post11940028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCR's Reef
Alot of people say only one tang per tank. However some have been successful putting an odd number of tangs (3) so that not only one tang is being bullied. If you get 2 one will bully the other one to death, so I would get 3 of the very smallest you could find, or you could just get 3 different species.

I dont think that is true,ime. I had just the orange shoulder and lieutenant tang in the tang together for about 6 months. They have nearly identical shapes and are even the sane color except for the little orange bar on the orangge shoulder. I have never had any problem whatsoever with them fightinf or bullying.

I think you are making a good choice on not getting the Naso, jlunde. I semi regret getting one for my 180g. The only reason i'm not worried is he isnt that large now and i will be upgrading in about 2 years. My Blonde Naso isnt that big(6-7" max) but looks pretty large in the tank. Ina 60" tank he would definitely look out of place and not be comfortable.

sufunk
02/25/2008, 06:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11940347#post11940347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reeftanks6
Agree with the above that is great info to take into consideration. I think you should go with a Naso Purple and a achilles or PBT. These would be great choices

:confused:

An achilles is one of the hardest tangs to keep even for VERY experienced tang keepers in a large tank. Definitely a tang to work up to after alot of experince, not start out with in a smaller tank. I think even the Powder blue is a questionable decision to start out with, they are notoriously hard to keep as well.

I think telling someone to stock an achilles, naso and purple into a 60" tank is REALLY bad advice, imo and ime.

jlunde
02/26/2008, 09:02 AM
I've decided not to get a Naso from the discussion above. It will get too big and I'm not upgrading for a VERY long time. And - I don't feel like having to try catch and find a home for it, when I do have to remove it.

I would love to get an Achilles tang more than any of the fish I described above. I DO know these are expert level fish, but was confused about the need to wait 2+ yrs to add one.

Regarding the rest of the discussion - Tangs are categorized into different "families" or species, genus? It sounds like as long as you get tangs from different genus', they have a "better" chance of getting along. Example - don't get a purple and a yellow tang. Don't get a Powder Blue and a Powder Brown - I assume the Achilles is in this genus also.

So - in the event I decided on an Achilles. I would get one of those, then a purple or yellow and a Kole or Tomini Tang - as all these Tangs would be from different "families".

Next - just want to mention I'll be using an H&S A200-1260 skimmer for this setup - and am pretty excited about that! Brand spanking new - never been hooked up yet! I was going to hook it up to my 37 gallon, but....