PDA

View Full Version : Fixing dual 175w halide ballast?

DamnPepShrimp
02/22/2008, 03:48 PM
I bought a used halide ballast from a forum member and finally set it up a few weeks back. Well we found out that the bulb would just barely light up, I couldn't even tell it was on. We tried different bulbs, wiring, sockets, etc etc. We know everything else worked because my brother has a single 175w set up now, and wanted to go to duals. So we eliminated everything but the ballast, it just doesn't work. Some people said it was the capacitor, so we took it apart and found two caps that this is what was listed on them:

10uF 400vac 60hz 100*C
int.ref.2.38meg(ohm symbol) no pcb's
005-4025-p-v
acg279

The ballast is from Custom Sea Life, which was bought out by Champion Lighting. Does it sound like I'd need new capacitors? It seems the bulbs just aren't getting any power since they barely, I mean barely light. Where would I go about getting new caps or fixing this ballast? Thanks!

jhowerton
02/22/2008, 04:23 PM
I've had a similar problem with one of my ballasts. I replaced the Cap, everything worked for about a month. I've had someone tell me to check all of the connections, I'm going to solder them. I wiold give new cap's a try.

DamnPepShrimp
02/22/2008, 06:43 PM
What happened after a month? Did it die again or has it only been a month since you replaced the caps? Where did you buy the caps from? Thanks for the reply.

DarG
02/22/2008, 06:53 PM
Hello lights has ballast components for most all types and wattages.

DamnPepShrimp
02/22/2008, 07:15 PM
Looked at hello lights, they only had caps for mag ballasts. I emailed champion lighting, hopefully they can figure out what is wrong with my ballast and have caps for it. Thanks.

jhowerton
02/23/2008, 04:35 PM
The cap died again after a month

DarG
02/23/2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I thought it was magnetic. I would think that an electronic ballast would have more than one cap. I dont think Ive seen a cap with a resistance listed on it but one could get a 10uF 400V cap from alot of places. And that is the only cap in the ballast? Is it soldered to the/a circuit board? Is it an electrolytic (looks like a small can and has a + and/or - symbol) or a film cap? Is it physically swollen or leaking or look burned?

DamnPepShrimp
02/23/2008, 07:04 PM
Jim, wow, it died that quickly!? That isn't good! So what did you do now?

Dar,
So I could go to a radioshack or any electrical place to get the cap you think? It has two caps, I am assuming one for each halide (obviously). It looks like a small can, I don't know much else about it. It is actually my brothers, he took it apart, I haven't seen it. When I talk to him, I will get more info. So any 10uF 400v cap should work though right? Thanks for your help.

DarG
02/23/2008, 07:55 PM
If it looks like a small can it is an electrolytic cap which has a + and minus lead and must be installed observing polarity. Unless it is non polarized which it probably isnt. But, the resistance numbers have me confused. Caps do present a resistance but it's not usually in the part number and you normally dont worry about finding a cap based on resitance. Rat shack would probably have a 10uF electrolytic but maybe not a 400 volt rated one.

Personally I wouldnt just swap that part out with a cap until I found out what the ohm numbers were all about UNLESS ... brainstorm. There is a comany that makes or made capacitors (Omega I think) and I think their trademark was the Ohm sign.
It could be a part number for that company. Not positive though.

DamnPepShrimp
02/23/2008, 08:08 PM
Ok, thanks for all your help. My brother said it looks like it should just pull out, so he is going to take it out and see if we can't match it up at a radio shack etc. I emailed champion lighting who now owns custom sealife, hopefully they can shed some light on this cap. Thanks again, hopefully I can get this figured out, for cheap, haha.