PDA

View Full Version : Rhomboid Pair VS Mystery and Sohal

waxy
02/22/2008, 04:49 PM
I have a Sohal and Mystery in the following Scenario.

Tank 130g + 30g Fuge

1.Hippo 4-5.5"
2.Mystery 3.5-4"
3.Sohal 5-5.5"

Introduced in the order they are shown.

I have a Hippo Tang thats been in the tank since I started the Hobby.

These 3 get along really well, no aggression towards others.

However, when I introduce other species they have no problems with each other.

I am aware that the Sohal is the most aggressive Tang of its species and should be introduced last in the community.

When I introduce a new fish, a Larger Clown Tang, The Sohal beat the living daylights out of the Clown Tang. So I was forced to remove it and give it away to a friend.

With all the above in mind, my question is...

How will a Pair of Rhomboid Wrasses, Mystery and Sohal interact?

I am picking up the Rhomboids Tomorrow morning from the LFS.

I already planned on getting rid of the mystery, even though it is not aggressive at all. Its the Sohal that is wreking havoc.

Any information regarding their interactions would be greatly appreciated.

Creetin
02/22/2008, 07:43 PM
I'll save ya on the tank being too smal for the sohal. ;)
The mystery will most likely pick on the rhomboids. They are pretty aggressive. I would get him out prior to adding them.
Not sure how the sohal would react to a wrasse, But most likely will not bother them, but there is a chance it could. JMO
Good luck,

BangkokMatt
02/22/2008, 08:09 PM
Are you a troll?

waxy
02/22/2008, 09:14 PM
I have had the sohal for a long time now. It was a lot smaller when I first got it. 130 is more than adequate for it with my experience. Eats really healthy too, too much in fact.

I thought about ridding the sohal too. Its just way too aggressive with its closer relatives.

I recently added 2 4" sleeper gobys and they faired well. The gobys go near the surface rocks as well as move around the tank a lit without problems.

I might just take a chance and observe what happens before further ado.

Mystery and Rhomboid (Central Pacific) did come from the same area.

Both Sohal and Purple too (Red Sea), only fight if you introduce one before the other, if same time they become friends through my past experiences.

Young Joe Gibbs
02/22/2008, 09:47 PM
how does experience alter the size of a tank that a fish needs to hrive?

nellahtes
02/22/2008, 10:25 PM
i would remove the sohal. why take the chance on it killing very expensive wrasses. plus even if the tank is fine for it now the sohal will out grow it. better be safe than sorry....JMO

waxy
02/22/2008, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11917715#post11917715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Young Joe Gibbs
how does experience alter the size of a tank that a fish needs to hrive?

By making it Magically Shrink with my Voodoo Powers :)

Let me reiterate, "Through my Experience"

And I am not going according to WikiPedia's recommendation. I dont recall WikiPedia being around at that time though...2006 was it?

I think I would have known a few years ago prior to introducing him.

Regardless, Ive introduced a Ruby Head Wrasse into the tank. They seem to be doing ok right now... I ll find out tomorrow morning haha.

Thought about a Sixline Wrasse, but they will for sure start a fight club.

nellahtes : I am definitely on it, if I all is not well. The wrasse is already being sold, but sohal hasnt.

waxy
02/22/2008, 10:47 PM
If I am lucky, the Rhomboids will make babies and you can be the God Father! HAHAHAHA :D

nellahtes
02/25/2008, 02:11 PM
so hows it working out for you? any pics?

tony varrell
02/25/2008, 02:39 PM
I have not had a sohol in a long time so I can't comment. I do have a very established yellow tang that will not allow me to put another tang or any fish close to his size. He will harass the fish to death. For som reason though I do not have that problem when introducing Fairy Wrasse. If your Rhombo is healthy and you have plenty to places to hide I think you will be alright. I just introduced a Rhombo recently and he had no problem. Regarding your mystery I don't think you have to take it out. I have one that is 5 years old and about 4 inches long. It is peaceful with occupants new and old..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/tonyvarrell/algea006.jpg

jmaneyapanda
02/25/2008, 02:59 PM
I thought you added a pair and one died "mysteriously"?

tony varrell
02/25/2008, 03:50 PM
Yes you are correct. That death had nothing to do with what fish I had in my system. That was just one of those unexplained thing that happen sometimes. The one that you see in the picture acclaimated with on problem and has been eating since day one.

snorvich
02/25/2008, 03:53 PM
Uh, fish are never friends. Nice anthropomorphic concept but invalid in anything other than a synergistic model. Sohals become more aggressive with size and age. Mystery wrasses don't like other wrasses. If not immediately, in the future.

waxy
02/26/2008, 01:51 AM
Heres an Update!

Well, when I went to pick up the Rhomboids I spent an more than an hour with temp and water acclimation.

The weather was really bad here, especially during the major storm everyone was warned about.

An hour in the community, all was well, they were very active, not afraid of anything not even my face haha.

I tried to feed them mysis shrimp, but they didnt eat. They spent the time searching around the tank.

As they were swimming around, the Sohal started pushing the Rhomboids around, then it got really serious.
The Sohal started biting, swinging its tail with the thorn protruded out on both sides. I saw some flesh wounds off the Rhomboids but it was just fin damage.

I had to remove every rock I could to pull the Sohal Tang out.

The Mystery Wrasse was no where to be found.

After I removed the Sohal, the Rhomboids and Mystery Wrasse were getting along really well. They didnt fight, nor did they do anything out of the ordinary.

They do come from the same area, I dont see why they should be fighting though, since they know eachother :D

I already planned on removing the Mystery sooner or later, because he did eat all my inverts, shrimps, snails and craps.

As of now, its just the two rhomboids in the pictures after I took everything apart. My gosh, it was horrible, bad rainy weather, cold, muggy while I was stuck inside cleaning out the tank!

They are eating Frozen Plankton right now, a bit of bring, more over on the mysis side.

I like to keep a variety, they way they feed more instead of seeing the same food every day.

At this point, they are still in hiding, I am not sure how long it will take for them to get used to being in the community, soon I hope.
Must have been traumatized from the Sohal Attacks.

Another thing... I was told these were a Male and Female pair, as I do understand that these change sex's just as clowns do. But I cant tell if they are "Male and Female" or "Male and Male" vice versa.

What do you guys think? From the pictures provided.

Thanks in Advance!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/10-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/11-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/5-2.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/1-2.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/2-2.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/waxyreef/8-1.jpg

waxy
02/26/2008, 01:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11938335#post11938335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tony varrell
[B]I have not had a sohol in a long time so I can't comment. I do have a very established yellow tang that will not allow me to put another tang or any fish close to his size. He will harass the fish to death. For som reason though I do not have that problem when introducing Fairy Wrasse. If your Rhombo is healthy and you have plenty to places to hide I think you will be alright. I just introduced a Rhombo recently and he had no problem. Regarding your mystery I don't think you have to take it out. I have one that is 5 years old and about 4 inches long. It is peaceful with occupants new and old..

That is a great looking tank, its amazing how everything is getting along in there.

jmaneyapanda
02/26/2008, 06:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11939055#post11939055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Uh, fish are never friends. Nice anthropomorphic concept but invalid in anything other than a synergistic model. Sohals become more aggressive with size and age. Mystery wrasses don't like other wrasses. If not immediately, in the future.

agreed 100000%. Pet peeve #523 for me- "My fish are the best of friends- they swim side by side all the time." Hogwash (except in the case of mated pairs). They are keeping there friends close and enemies closer.
I also agree that keeping the rhomboids with the mystery is a very silly risk- mysterys are WELL KNOWN to destroy other wrasses. Despite your very very short term success, you will wake up one day with less rhomboids than today if yuo dont remove that mystery. BTW, how old is your tank? I didnt see any coralline on anything in the pics.