PDA

View Full Version : 1 year anniversary...do i have enough Live Rock

Gman1978
02/22/2008, 05:10 PM
Its 1 year later with my first reef tank. I honestly dont remember how much LR I purchased in 2007 but I was hoping that a more experienced reef hobbyist could tell me if my tank is way short of the correct amount of LR.

Maybe I am paranoid but I see other 75 g reef tanks and it looks like they are loaded with LR.

The tank is a 75g.http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj165/Grohm1978/100_0175.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP GUYS

Chris

moo0o
02/22/2008, 05:13 PM
it looks fine to me =).

schoch79
02/22/2008, 05:19 PM
I would say it's a little light but I would leave it. With such a light bioload there is no worries. Also I think it is probably at least close enough not to worry bout it. Some people use even less than you do.

RickD63
02/22/2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like you have enough to keep up with the load on your system. If you add more corals, it will fill in nicely with your tank.

Capt_Cully
02/22/2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah, you're good. You just need more coral and it'll look full. I've actually started taking LR out of my tank as the coral #'s and sizes increase.

cilyjr
02/22/2008, 05:54 PM
do you have any problems with water parameters? if not don't worry about it.

also, if you want more rock but don't want to spend money you could buy some dry base rock like this
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=38
i don't get it here. i get it from myLFS but these people could be good too (i just don't know)

moo0o
02/22/2008, 06:34 PM
yep, i use less than you do + i have more fish and ive got no problems. except maybe a phosphate problem but im pretty sure ive gotten that taken care of =)

Gman1978
02/24/2008, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11915896#post11915896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cilyjr
do you have any problems with water parameters? if not don't worry about it.

also, if you want more rock but don't want to spend money you could buy some dry base rock like this
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=38
i don't get it here. i get it from myLFS but these people could be good too (i just don't know)

I have had some problems in the past mainly due to my own doing such as using well water, a malfunctioning heater, and a low salinity content. right now i think things are looking up especially with this new bermuda aquatics rogue I have running.

I also had a wicked algae problem and i bought a foxface rabbit and this gorgeous yellow tang. They cleaned the whole tank of my algae problem but I think their waste really stressed my system out because these guys were GORGING themselves. I lost the foxface unexpectedly and again, I think its because these two 'big' guys knocked the tank out of whack so quick that I couldnt catch it in time.

Right now I have a pair of clowns, two anenome's(one hosted) , one stony coral, two soft corals, an alge blenny, about 13 snails, 1 emerald crab(2 died), the yellow tang, a little hawkfish, a purple dottyback, a sand sifting star, and a big clam.

I think I will add an urchin,another star, and the rest of the stuff will be corals

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:23 PM
Its all about balance.Balanceing the load with filteration.LR is the best bio filter you can have. With that said ,85 lbs in a 75 is perfect. PLacement is outta wack but could be perfect if flow is low.
If flow is low but rock work is loose and open and stock is low then it only helps but leaves little room for coral placement and areas for fish to call home. If you add more fish and have little or no spots they can call home they will fight over prime spots. But to have areas for fish you need to stack and place LR ways that low flow wouldnt be able to support then more flow will be needed.

The tank looks perfect as is but for future coral and stock you need to rethink some things.
Then you have a tang which will make adding less aggresive fish harder. Its best to add least aggresive to most for better chance of accumulation.

Gman1978
02/25/2008, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932434#post11932434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Its all about balance.Balanceing the load with filteration.LR is the best bio filter you can have. With that said ,85 lbs in a 75 is perfect. PLacement is outta wack but could be perfect if flow is low.
If flow is low but rock work is loose and open and stock is low then it only helps but leaves little room for coral placement and areas for fish to call home. If you add more fish and have little or no spots they can call home they will fight over prime spots. But to have areas for fish you need to stack and place LR ways that low flow wouldnt be able to support then more flow will be needed.

The tank looks perfect as is but for future coral and stock you need to rethink some things.
Then you have a tang which will make adding less aggresive fish harder. Its best to add least aggresive to most for better chance of accumulation.

I think I get what you are saying. I have always been concerned with the flow based on my tanks current arrangement.Do you think I should do some moving around? As it stands today, the tank rock consists of those two large outcroppings I built out of four pieces on the end. Since they were not glued, they maintain some of their support by leaning on some of the pieces towards the middle of the tank. The SEIO 1100's sit on the back wall but have their flow angled towards the middle of the tank. The strongest flow is right in front of these two big outcroppings I built. In the middle of the tank, I think the flow is light-but existant. What do you think? Is a tighter arrangement of the rock in order versus this spread out appearance?