PDA

View Full Version : Koran angel

frazier
02/22/2008, 10:03 PM
does anyone have one I don't see alot about them on here. I just picked up one from my LFS, he's 5 to 6" and changing to his colors. any tips on keeping this guy happy???

snommisbor
02/22/2008, 10:29 PM
I have one still a juvi, just make sure you include a diet that includes sponge.
you can get frozen cubes that have this in it. They can get HLLE mine did but once I started with the frozen cubes with sponge it helped a lot. Now just have to wait for the scaring to go away. Here he is.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snommisbor/DSC_1469.jpg

hawkey992
02/22/2008, 11:57 PM
I used to have one way back when, had em for a few years but he never changed his colors, despite getting pretty big

Kahuna Tuna
02/23/2008, 12:12 AM
It has been my experience that this species takes a lot longer than most angels to change over to the adult colors. They are just about as bulletproof as an angel gets and I think the reason they are not as popular as some other angels is that they go through an "ugly duckling" phase, very pretty juvies turn into drab changlings but I really like the look of the fully grown adults one they do grow out. Probably another reason they arent as popular is they can be one of the more destructive angels in a reef.

frazier
02/23/2008, 08:50 AM
well I guess I got lucky then. I'll get a pic of he later today but he looks to have most of his colors. I really couldn't pass up on him as good as he looks.. his by himself right now in a 55g 6 to 10 weeks he'll be swimming in my 210...

Toddrtrex
02/23/2008, 12:43 PM
Years ago I had one, started as a juvi and was changing when I sold it. Was a really hardy fish and ate like a pig. Fed a mix of LifeLine's Herbivore mix, Prime Reef, Angel formula and mysis.

He was around 5-6 inches when I sold it -- here is a picture of him in a holding tank waiting to be sold.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/KoranYellow.jpg

msudawgs56
02/23/2008, 12:49 PM
I Have one... he's about 4 inches... a week after i got him he started to losiing his color around his eyes... i have been soaking his food and giving a good variety diet and he is slowly starting to look better. I know it came from poor nutrition....
he is hardy and fat.... eats everything... gets along great with tankmates except my foxface...

i love mine

mattsilvester
02/23/2008, 03:14 PM
Having not kept this species I have no experience to share, but I would think the usual "big 3" are the key to sucess, as is with every large angel species:
(1) Good varied diet, fed often, and plenty of it.
(2) Space..... again, plenty of it, and undercrowded. Preferably no less than 8 times the length of the fish at any given time.
(3) Water quality.... low organics, high oxygen.... and brisk flow.

I've attached a pic of as 12" or so specimen I came accross in bangok a year or so back..... crap picture qualtiy, but beautiful fish..... pomocanthus at its best ;)
http://www.gillybaby.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=87

BigH55
02/23/2008, 05:58 PM
Thats actually an Emporator not a Koran.

Josh K
02/23/2008, 11:14 PM
I was just going to say, nice looking fish though

mattsilvester
02/24/2008, 04:29 AM
Sorry about that guys.............. that is og course as emporer angel :D

Here's the proper link > http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/121-2121_IMG.jpg

HookedOnReefing
02/26/2008, 10:41 AM
I also have a Koran Angel. Wonderful, hardy and a beautiful Angel. It grows quite large but the nice thing is that Korans are one of the slowest growers of the large Angels. It takes years before it outgrows your system.

Mine is housed together with a fully grown show size Yellow Tang, Lunar Wrasse, Six-Bar Wrasse, and a White-Striped Maroon Clown.

He's reasonably well behaved for a large Angel. From time to time he gets "bullied" by my 1.5" Maroon Clown. The little clown will actually chase him off out of his territory and he always complies:D He has great respect for my Yellow Tang who is the undisputed boss of the tank.

To keep him happy, feed him a variety of foods. My fish eat Formula 1 flake, Formula 2 flake, Prime Reef flake, Pellets, Nori, fresh Spinnach and fresh saltwater fish/clams/shrimp form the supermarket which I blend and freeze into cubes.

Very personable. Eats right out of my hand. A great fish. Highly recommended!:thumbsup:

snommisbor
02/26/2008, 01:27 PM
You are right on them growing slow. I have had mine for almost a year and it hasnt grown but maybe a 1/2 inch. Which is fine with me, should have him in a 180-220 by the end of summer