PDA

View Full Version : ph, calcium,alkalinium?

RWITT
02/23/2008, 10:18 AM
can someone explain the realtion ship between all these and how one effects the other?

my fowlr is spot on. but polyp, coraline, live sand, live rock tank , ph and akl. is very low.

what do i need to add?

aquaman67
02/23/2008, 10:33 AM
The alkalinity is what keeps your pH stable.

What are you using to measure the pH and alk with?

Most test kits aren't the best. Salifert I would trust, but not many others.

Water changes are the best thing you can do.

If, even after water changes your pH and alkalinity is still low, you can add plain old baking soda. The baking soda will only bring the pH to about 8 at most but for a FOLWR that's not too bad.

Stable is more important than being exactly 8.3.

If you want to spend some more money, the are products that will raise the alk and pH. Dose according to the instructions and take it slow. Don't change too much too fast.

Good luck!

Kaos
02/23/2008, 10:35 AM
Here's an article that should shed some light on the subject:

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and pH (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php)

RWITT
02/23/2008, 10:52 AM
thanks that is what i'm trying to do. Understand before i go add a bunch of stuff and screw it up.

Everything appears fine except for a llittle coraline die off.

BUt the test indicate very low ph and alk . Its good after a water change but drops fast.

Thanks i'll read more

lancer99
02/23/2008, 11:21 AM
Water changes are not the way to go....unless your salt mix has higher than normal alk (most don't). Because the organisms in your tank are using up the alk, as you've noticed, it immediately starts to drop, so unless you do 100% water changes every day, it will never stay at normal levels.

I use Ca, Alk & Magnesium additives from bulkreefsupply. They are very cheap compared to things like B-Ionic.

-R