PDA

View Full Version : SPS newbie. Basic info needed

FishNutzBoi
02/23/2008, 11:56 PM
I've been keep mixed reef for 2 years and now I'm going to try to keep a SPS nano. The only SPS I've ever kept was an orange monti cap and it didn't seem that hard. But I know most other SPS's are actually hard to keep so any suggestion on what I should do and such to successfully keep SPS's?

Here's some spec:

8 gallon Biocube
70W 14,000K MH
Maxijet900 return pump
Koralia nano

I'm not dosing anything and only relying on the weekly 2G water changes to replenish the water.

TIA!

t5Nitro
02/24/2008, 12:06 AM
Well, if you get heavy into the SPS dominated tank, you will need to dose alkalinity and calcium supplements to keep the levels at 415 ppm Ca or so and around 8-10 dKh alk or so. People have + or - those numbers a little bit. With an 8 gallon tank, you will most likely need a calcium reactor if you went SPS dominate. I'm not sure though as I've never kept a nano.

FishNutzBoi
02/24/2008, 12:21 AM
t5, would dripping kalkwasser using an ATO work also?

mile sq. reefer
02/24/2008, 01:10 AM
Forgo the reactor. I have a 55g SPS dom. tank and dont use one. I also don not have a sump. I add Bionic two part and top off with 1g of Kalk every other day. My Calcium is at 420, and alkalinity at 8-9. Also weekly 10% water changes help maintain stability and replenish trace elements. I use RC salt.

With a tank that small just test frequently to keep water stable.

dukes707
02/24/2008, 03:22 AM
having the ATO with kalk helps keep things stable if you want to ever go on vacation and dont have anyone to watch your tank. also helps keep pH stable and helps to precipitate out phosphates.

mastawong
02/24/2008, 03:29 AM
I heard that SPS releases "energy" or something and you would need a skimmer to remove it, can someone verify?

dukes707
02/24/2008, 04:18 AM
well from a metaphysical standpoint it can be argued that everything releases "energy". but in terms of reefkeeping, it helps to have a good skimmer to remove organic waste (the energy you speak of) from your water column to keep it from getting poluted.
you know if you use the search function and put "sps basics" there is a very good rundown of basic foundational information that might get you started keeping sps'. or it might already be at the top of this sps forum.
instead of asking single questions and getting fragmented information you can get a bulk of it from that thread, best of luck. HTH

chercm
02/24/2008, 07:46 AM
i would think it will be better to keep your Mg above 1300 and Alk/ ph and Ca will be high also

milsaltnewbie07
02/24/2008, 08:53 AM
I got A Biocube 14 with lots of SPS. I just have a 150w sunpod with a 20k Radium, Refugium in CHamber & with Cheato, and LR.I Dose Calcium ONce a Week, And top off daily, with Buffered water. I Also dose Iodide. I use no Calcium Reactor, NO skimmer. All NATURAL.
If you Click on THe little REd HOuse in my Profile you will see my tank thread .Fell free to ask any Questions