PDA

View Full Version : ATO with top up over long distance??

gholley
02/24/2008, 09:02 AM
I have been using a Profilux II Plus system for almost a year now and I love it. Since I started my tank, I have wanted to put in an automatic water change and top-off system. I have been told by my LFS that Profilux may have some equipment under development that may enable me to control this with my Profilux computer.

The practical issue is that my reservoir tanks are in the basement about 40 feet away from tank, which is on the first floor, horizontally, and the rise in elevation from the salt water drum is approximately 12 feet and the rise in elevation from the fresh water drum is approximately 7 feet. I have run three runs of ΒΌ inch water tubing from the tank to the drums (one for fresh top-up and two for water changes (one for salt water and one to get the old water to a drain)).

I am imagining I would have to install three pumps (one for salt water and one for fresh water and one for waste water) and then use water level monitors to control fresh water top-up and then set up with automatic water-change so that it changes out two gallons of tank water per day.

Can you tell me whether or not the Profilux equipment can handle this kind of distance (vertically and horizontally)? I am imagining that dosing unit would have to be near the tank, but that I could run long extension cords to the pumps in the reservoirs in the basement. Please tell me if you think this kind of set up work work with existing Profilux equipment.

In this kind of set up, are their particular pumps you would recommend?

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance,

AQD_ottawa
02/24/2008, 09:18 AM
You would not be able to use dosing pumps for this height, the head pressure would be far too great.

The ProfiLux itself has no issues with what you want to acjeive this is simple programming through ATO in the software.

The area that you will need to address yourself is what sort of pumps you would need to satisfy the head lift you are looking at.

After that it is a simple case of programming the pumps through the power bar utilising the ATO settings

elzool
02/24/2008, 11:17 AM
Since you mentioned the height Michael, I would think that my setup would be similar.

On mine, the incoming saltwater travels out of its holding can about 15 foot up, then 20 foot across and then 15 foot down. Give or take a foot. The saltwater is output about 4 foot away from the sump.

I measured each line three times using the same equipment with the same results each time.

The key for me to get it consistant was brought up by Fishie Nut in another thread and that was to use a check valve on the incoming lines.

Now, many weeks later it's still running the same. The salinity has not changed and the flow rate is the same.

Maybe my 15' drop back down reduces the pressure, I don't know. I just recall asking this before and Matthias said 15' up was not a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky? :confused:

Tony Romano
02/24/2008, 01:13 PM
What is ATO

AQD_ottawa
02/24/2008, 01:28 PM
AUTO TOP OFF

AQD_ottawa
02/24/2008, 01:28 PM
I think using the check valve is the key to your success, as it stops drain back

Tony Romano
02/24/2008, 01:32 PM
geez - Brain dead - I knew that thanks!

I figured out the WLAN thing - in hindsight I should have quicker.