PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Help

viv
02/24/2008, 11:38 AM
I have both TBS and hardware setup questions, but posted in this thread since the decision to go with "The Package" will directly impact some of the hardware setup as well.

I've been reviewing TBS on ReefCentral and am interested in "The Package". I have a new 180 gallon Oceanic RR tank with a central overflow box. The tank backs up to a utility/"fish" closet that will contain the sump, a new 72" LifeReef skimmer, mixing tank, utility sink, etc. Quick side note: Oceanic replaced this tank for free after the first one had a seal fail after 7 years of use. I am really impressed with Oceanic.

I want to do everything I can to set this up so that when (not if) I go through a busy time at work and slack off on the maintenance, the tank eco-system will not collapse and leave me with a green box. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

Questions about the Package:
I've never kept many inverts, so I'm not familiar with phytoplankton food, such as DT's, Micro Vert, etc. On TBS.com, Richard recommends this every other day, but when I travel this may not be possible. How long can I get away without this if I have a neighbor drop in some flake food?

How long do all those critters live? I'm sure I would never know when one dies or be able to find them in the rock. Will this cause water quality problems.

How often do I need to add more critters?

Will the cleanup-crew clean up a dead fish that is hidden in all that rock? I would hate to have to remove all the rock when a fish is died.

I bet is is near impossible to catch any fish with this setup. Any comments?

Do I need to have empty shells in the tank for the hermit crabs as they grow?

What kind of fish work well with all these critters? My daughters want all main characters from Finding Nemo. (Amazing what motivates us)

Regarding equipment:
What brand of RO/DI do you recommend? I saw "The Filter Guys" were recommended.

Do I need multiple powerheads in the tank to circulate water through the rock? I have a Iwaki MD70 as the main circulation pump to return water from the sump.

I have a large LifeReef wet/dry trickle filter. Any harm/benefit to using this with the package?

If I don't use the trickle filter as my sump, I was thinking of ordering a polyethylene tank or Rubbermaid Stock Tank. I saw some at USPlastic.com. Do you recommend any other sources for plastic tanks for sump and water mixing.

I want to setup and connect a dedicated mixing tank to make water changes even easier and hook up some form of auto top-off for those times when I am traveling. I've seen some nice setups online, but do you have any links I should check out?

Sorry for all of these questions. As I'm sure you all understand, with this investment I want to maximize my chances of success.

Thank you in advance for any help.

HowardW
02/24/2008, 03:08 PM
That's a lot of questions viv :lol:

<<< I've never kept many inverts, so I'm not familiar with phytoplankton food, such as DT's, Micro Vert, etc. On TBS.com, Richard recommends this every other day, but when I travel this may not be possible. How long can I get away without this if I have a neighbor drop in some flake food? >>>

It's not critcal to feed all the filter feeders on TBS every day or every other day on an established tank, you could easily get away with skipping several days every once and awhile if necessary. I give my tanks DT's 3 times a week and other high quality frozen foods 2-3 times a week. Flake food is not the best option for live rock but could possibly be used for hermits and other critters if necessary.

<<< How long do all those critters live? I'm sure I would never know when one dies or be able to find them in the rock. Will this cause water quality problems. >>>

Most will live quite a while , at least a few years if not far longer. If something dies many critters will act a scavengers.

<<< Will the cleanup-crew clean up a dead fish that is hidden in all that rock? I would hate to have to remove all the rock when a fish is died. >>>

Usually yes.

<<< Do I need to have empty shells in the tank for the hermit crabs as they grow? >>>

Always a good idea to have a variety of different size empty shells scattered throughout the tank for the hermits.

<<< What kind of fish work well with all these critters? My daughters want all main characters from Finding Nemo. (Amazing what motivates us) >>>

Typically any of the smaller 'reef safe' fish will work ok. YOu will not want large predatory type fish or those that feed on inverts like most triggers, etc.

<<< What brand of RO/DI do you recommend? I saw "The Filter Guys" were recommended. >>>

Most RO/DI setups are basically the same with the exact brand filters and gpd membrane being the main differences. The Filter guys have top quality stuff at good prices.....tell Jim that Howard sent you :-)

<<< Do I need multiple powerheads in the tank to circulate water through the rock? I have a Iwaki MD70 as the main circulation pump to return water from the sump. >>>

Yes, good random flow is quite important for the TBS rock. I would go with a minimum of 25X flow rate or better.

<<< I have a large LifeReef wet/dry trickle filter. Any harm/benefit to using this with the package? >>>

A standard wet/dry is not really necessary IMO, but may be converted to a sump and fuge.

<<< want to setup and connect a dedicated mixing tank to make water changes even easier and hook up some form of auto top-off for those times when I am traveling. I've seen some nice setups online, but do you have any links I should check out? >>>

Check out many of the sponsors websites here on Reef Central for tons of choices. Many people with larger tanks use a simple Rubbermaid Brute plastic garbage can (they're food safe plastic) and a strong powerhead for mixing up new saltwater.