PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ purchase and set up of new ACIII

reefknight
02/24/2008, 12:30 PM
Ok guys, I'm getting ready to order my ACIII for my new 90gal tank. I currently have an AC Jr. on my 30 cube and have loved it, but I need some of the functions of the ACIII now. I some one could assist me with the lay out of the system I would greatly appreciate it.

90gal tank
ADHI 30 reef sump
Euro Reef RS 135
Eheim 1262 - return pump
Visi Therm 250W heater
JBJ 1/4hp chiller
Aquamedic fixture, (2) 250W MH(Giesemann 14.5k) w/ (2) T-5 54W (Giesemann Actinic +)
Neptune Lunar Sim (2 LED)
(1) Vortech w/ WWD - Left side
(2) Tunze 6055
Geo 612 Calcium reactor w/ Ph probe (Maxi 1200 feed pump)
Reef Fanatic Top off system (2 floats valves, fed by Aqualifter)
Phosban reactor - RowaPhos & Hydro Carbon (Maxi 400 feed pump)
*ACIII - w/ AquaSurf, expansion outlet, ORP probe?, DC8 (2)

I would like to get the ACIII and the Aqua Surf module as well. My questions should also be; should I run a ORP probe, as I don not use ozone? Should I run two Ph probes (one in sump, one in Ca Rx)? What should the program be for the Ca Rx? I might purchase the expansion outlet, so that I could run two heaters. Also should I run the chiller on the ACIII or its own built in controller?

I have a WiFi network at home, what do I need to get this connected to it? I have an old Linksys WiFi G router, can this be used to connect the ACIII to my network?

THANKS!

kenargo
02/24/2008, 01:39 PM
Wow, lots of interesting questions; I'll take a stab...

* 'Do you need a 'socket expansion' for 2 heaters; the short answer is no; a DC8 port can handle 6 amps and 2 heaters will be under that (I have 2 heaters on 1 port). That said having heaters on separate DC8 ports gives you a backup heater if 1 DC8 port would fail.

* ORP - ORP can be used as a measure of tank health, you don't need to have ozone to get value in having one. The real ORP is not that valuable but the movement of the number is. If the number starts creeping down it is an indication that something in the tank may not be quite right (e.g., something died). That is what I use mine for, I do not use ozone.

* PH probe in tank and reactor. Totally up to you. For ages people have tuned the reactor, leaving the CO2 on all the time at a low bubble count, set bu measuring the PH of the effluent. That said, I find that a PH probe in the reactor removes the tuning challenge, you set the drops (30-40/min) and let the PH probe control the PH (bu turning on/off the CO2).

* Chiller on AC3 or use the controller built-in. This one is a personal preference. I use the AC3 because it allows me to control heat/chiller and never having them fight. If your chiller has a single controller (controlling only the chiller) than there is a chance that the heater ans chiller could be on at the same time; you have to be careful to how you program them. Of the AC3 does both then you won't have the issue but then you have a single point of failure in the AC3. Separate, if there is a failure the chiller and heaters might run at the same time, trying to balanc one another.

* I use the Wireless-G Linksys and it works fine. I know other people like other units but if you alread have the unit I'd use it.

I'll list equipment layout in the next message (to keep these separate).

kenargo
02/24/2008, 01:50 PM
Tank:

PH
ORP (optional) - you can skip this and use the port for the PH probe in the reactor, if you enable ORP then you will neex a PX1000 (in order to run a second PH probe)

Temp

1 DC8 port to control return pump; so you can turn off return during feeding if you want
1 DC8 port for heater
1 DC8 port for 2 MhD(s)
1 DC8 port for 2 T5(s)

Vortech; do you want to control it or just have it on all the time?

1 AquaSurf will control the 2 6055 Tunze pumpts

Calk reactor (PH probe)

Unless I am not counting something I don't see you needing 2 DC8(s). Did I miss something?

reefknight
02/24/2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your assistance,

* Chiller - Still not sure if I want it on the ACIII or not, it only has single point control over itself.

* Skimmer - I would like the skimmer on the DC8 for the feed cycle feature.

* Lunar Sim module - Does this need to be plugged directly into the DC8 or just standard power socket?

* AquaSurf - Since I am not familiar with it, do the 6055's need to be plugged into the DC8?

* Vortech - It has the WWD for control over it. That being said, what "can" the ACIII do with it? Feed cycle for on button operation?

* Ca Rx - Wouldn't the solenoid valve need to be plugged into the DC8 as well?

I probably have he answers right in front of me , but today I'm just not thinking too well. ;)

kenargo
02/24/2008, 06:15 PM
Skimmer - I would like the skimmer on the DC8 for the feed cycle feature

OK, add 1 more port allocation; it can use a DC8 port.

Lunar Sim module - Does this need to be plugged directly into the DC8 or just standard power socket?

The LunarSim plugs directly into the wall; no DC8 plug needed. It still plugs into the AC3 for control.

Vortech - It has the WWD for control over it. That being said, what "can" the ACIII do with it? Feed cycle for on button operation?

You can use DC8 port(s) to turn on/off the control unit; there is also a DIY mod for the Vortex to allow the AquaSurf to control them but it does involve modifications to the insides of the Vortech controller. If you are up for that adventure???

Ca Rx - Wouldn't the solenoid valve need to be plugged into the DC8 as well?

Yes, the CO2 solenoid would be pluged into a DC8 port, but the reactor pump would be directly into the wall.

reefknight
02/24/2008, 10:52 PM
Ok, I'm glad that the Tunze pumps do not have to occupy a DC8 port as they were taking up needed space.

DC8 ports

1 - Halides
2 - T-5's
3 - Heater
4 - Return pump
5 - Skimmer pump
6 - Solenoid (Ca Rx)
7 - Vortech pump ( Easier feed cycle, not up to modding it just yet)
8 - Sump fan (possibly)

I think that I have decided to run the chiller on its built in controller. If the program fails later or results aren't as expected I can remove the fan or the Vortech.

Also, I am going to use both probe ports for ph at this time. This should allow for easier tuning of the reactor hopefully, while still monitoring the tank. If I need the ORP probe I'll order the expansion later w/ a probe.

Next question is do I need to purchase the full version of AquaNotes? In the past I have used the Lite version, but was not looking to any of the advance features. I would like to have this connected to my wireless network and either monitor remotely or have it call/text/email me (I have a "CrackBerry") :rolleyes:

Next question; are you up to the programing challenge! ;)

kenargo
02/25/2008, 12:03 PM
do I need to purchase the full version of AquaNotes?

Tough question to answer; you may want to review the differences and see if there is a feature in the 'full' version that helps make the decision for you. The website is: http://www.neptunesys.com/aquaNotes.htm#COMPARISON

are you up to the programing challenge!

You don't appear to be doing anything way out there but you might want to install the AC3 simulator (see my web link) and use that to build your program. It includes statement validation and you can run the AC3 program locally and see how the devices react.