PDA

View Full Version : how to kill it or what eats this

asmodeus
02/24/2008, 05:04 PM
Lobophora:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Aquariums/IMG_0008.jpg

So what will eat this or how to get this out of my tank. does any body else have this in their tank I saw this on a friend's thread

demonsp
02/24/2008, 05:07 PM
I think removeing and scraping off. I think its reef safe but will bother other coral it comes in contact with.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

HBtank
02/24/2008, 05:16 PM
Various tangs and rabbitfish eat it. Some urchins are reported to.. Manual removal is laborious and not always possible. I have found it out-competes coralline, but not other corals.

Basically it will turn your rocks brown in well lit areas if you do not have a tang or rabbitfish. But if you have encrusting coral near it, it will not harm or impede it.

demonsp
02/24/2008, 05:24 PM
I havent seen any coral overgrow it and in my experiance may not kill coral but can impeded its growth. For the unltimate in total tank control ( which is every reefers goal) its better to remove.

asmodeus
02/24/2008, 06:10 PM
Well i do have a kole tang that grazes on everything ,but I don't know if he eats it or not. And I also have a rabbit fish that grazes through out the tank. But Ihavent seem either of them eat it yet..

Magnus6208
02/24/2008, 06:29 PM
I was reading another thread on RC the other day regarding lobophora and they suggested using some sort of saringe or small turkey baster and hitting it directly with boiling water. They said a couple of applications of this will kill it. It changes colors (that is how you know it is dead) and they you either pick it off or just scrub it off! Hope this works!!

Good luck.

asmodeus
02/24/2008, 06:42 PM
thanks man will try that out.

pammy
06/17/2008, 05:05 AM
Hi Asmodeus. Did you try the boiling water on the Lobophora? Did it work? Thanks. Pam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932021#post11932021 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asmodeus
thanks man will try that out.

A sea K
06/17/2008, 07:33 AM
I've had this crap in my tank for quite some time and can't get rid of it. Never knew what it was till I found this thread.
I have a Kole Mimic and Hippo tang as well as a Mag Foxface and none of these have ever touched it. The Foxface and Hippo are both over 6" and have been in the tank over a year but never shown ANY interest in it. I also have 2 Tuxedo urchins, there happy grazing on the coraline algea but avoid the lobophora.

I have tried manual removal but find it impossible to get it out of nooks and crannies and it just grows right back. I also find I need to let it grow out to allow me to lift it off the rocks otherwise the bond is too strong. I started running a phosphate reactor a few months back, growth has slowed some but it is still thriving.
I had been considering tearing down the tank but I'll try the manual removal and boiling water to see if that helps.

hermitage
06/17/2008, 07:36 AM
Whenever something like this comes up..I just cook the rock in question. Place it in a tub, deprive it of light/nutrients for 6-8weeks. Do weekly water changes in the tub, and scrub the rock at the same time. For me, this seems the easiest way to isolate, and kill unwanted algae. Most of the time, I don't even notice the missing rock in the display. I guess this depends on how much rock you have.

Either way...I'd cook it.

john rochon
06/17/2008, 08:13 AM
a friend had that in his tank, totaly took over his tank. he couldn't even sell that rock. I'm not sure how its spreads [could be spores]
but I'd remove it ASAP and boil/dry/ kill that rock. hopefully you don't see signs of it elsewere.

will16
06/17/2008, 08:19 AM
I have the same problem. Someone mentioned that a long spined urchin would eat it. Got one but it has either not found it yet or not interested. It's loves coraline though. My outbreak is on a very large piece of rock that is the foundation for a lot of other rocks. To get it out would be a very large pita. I will try the boiling water method mentioned. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.