PDA

View Full Version : Feeding time video I was bored

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad9tf3C6IHg

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:13 PM
Well i can say you didnt overfeed. Love pics. Can i add some constructive advice.

xenon
02/24/2008, 08:24 PM
I can say you did overfeed.

You should turn all pumps off and if the food drops past 1/2way down your tank before the food is eaten you are over feeding.

freedominco
02/24/2008, 08:27 PM
What are those striped fish you have in there? It looks like you have at least three of them.

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:29 PM
I dint see much food left after 3 min. I might add half or less then wait a few min and add more or the rest but 3 to 4 min. But even if it was to much this was the least of the problems i see.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 08:31 PM
Any and all advice is welcome They eat all the food it is one cube of brins shrimp
and te striped are cardinals

Dubbin1
02/24/2008, 08:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932444#post11932444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
I can say you did overfeed.

You should turn all pumps off and if the food drops past 1/2way down your tank before the food is eaten you are over feeding.

Thats ridicules...

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:34 PM
And food going below half is an issue in this tank with low flow as it will only drop and collect. 2 koralia # 3 in a 75 is low and amount of LR is low. The coral buety is an omivore and needs algea for best health but some nori on a clip would help.
Then some nass snails would help with SB and uneatin food but with 12 hermits maynot survive as they will kill them for there shells. Reduce hermits and mix in other CUC.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 08:45 PM
Ok I am not good at the abbreviations what is sb and what do yo umean about coral beauty?

The food honestly never gets to the bottom they eat it I was also told that I have plenty of flow for a fowlr tankNot saying it is right but what i was told.
I alsohave 75 pounds of lr

xenon
02/24/2008, 08:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932486#post11932486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
I dint see much food left after 3 min. I might add half or less then wait a few min and add more or the rest but 3 to 4 min. But even if it was to much this was the least of the problems i see.

That's because there is so much food blowing around that it will start to collect in the dead spots etc..

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:56 PM
THe coral beuty cant survive on meat alone. Some nori and mb a pinch of flake every other morning would be great . Feeding smaller amounts more often and a lrager mix or type of food is best for all fish health. Also the more fish you have the greater the O2 and waste load so increasing flow is best.

freedominco
02/24/2008, 08:56 PM
SB= sand bed

I also have a 75 gal with 2 koralia #3 and that along with the flow from my return pump it seems like I have to much flow, I can't imagine adding more flow. I am trying to slow down the return flow otherwise things get blown all over the place.

xenon
02/24/2008, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932665#post11932665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ricky1066
Ok I am not good at the abbreviations what is sb and what do yo umean about coral beauty?

The food honestly never gets to the bottom they eat it I was also told that I have plenty of flow for a fowlr tankNot saying it is right but what i was told.
I alsohave 75 pounds of lr

A coral beauty does not normally eat meat, they prefer seaweed (noori) and you can get a clip with suction cup and attach the noori to the clip.

demonsp
02/24/2008, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932777#post11932777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
That's because there is so much food blowing around that it will start to collect in the dead spots etc..

This is where feeding methods count as well as flow amount and dirrection of flow. A little food will be left behind but the CUC will take care of it. Your water readings are the best way to control stock and feeding and water changes.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 09:04 PM
what is coral beaty? My readings are all good except nitrates which have been 15 since week 2 .
I am not agreeing with you guys here sorry I take all advice but the fish eat it I have 7 fish and 12 hermit crabs with one blenny so ONE cube is alittle inmy opinion

I have also been told to feed once a day I switch from brine shrimp to mysois. I also drop in algae chips every other day and a seaweed piece of algae which no one eats.

BLKTANG
02/24/2008, 09:08 PM
That fish is a Flame Angel,not a Coral Beauty.

Here is a little page on how to care for your animal.Please read it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=444

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 09:16 PM
I read it and as it says Shrimp which I feed it it is the first fish to go and eat then comes the clown.

I think as a beginner I have alot to learn and I take all advice But on this one I think some of you guys are wrong

I feed once a day One cube of shrimp they eat it I normally have my powerheads pointing at the middles of the tank over the rocks but because of the cloudy problem I faced them both at the overflow I lowered my overflow box and have my pump and overflow up full to circulate the water .

I ask the lfs everytime Ibuy a fish what to feed it and he says if it is somethnig special I will tell you .
I ask alot of question to them and on here and I think All is well I have aspace problem so I have no refugium and think i should hook up my canister to run the carbon and phosban through with no pads I am basically using my sump to just keep my water level correct nothing else .
I think cleanig the canister every two weeks would be ok

But on the slow flow NO way The top of my tank is like a wave pool from the return and when the powerheads face down the por fish go across the tank sideways.

Deb91
02/24/2008, 09:19 PM
I love your flame angel,how does he get along with the other tankmates?

demonsp
02/24/2008, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11932800#post11932800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by freedominco
SB= sand bed

I also have a 75 gal with 2 koralia #3 and that along with the flow from my return pump it seems like I have to much flow, I can't imagine adding more flow. I am trying to slow down the return flow otherwise things get blown all over the place.

The return does help in the main tank.But to much flow in your fuge isnt good. You dont get the full effects from it.

Low flow cant be seen for months or yrs and by then most wont even think it was from flow and then spend money on some reactor that doesnt fix the problem then either give up or spend more uneeded money.Its only whene flow is very low that effect can be seen upfront from coral and CUC and fish death. At the first sign of nitrate, phosphate or poor fish and coral health think of this thread.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 09:32 PM
I have to be honest Iam a newbie And listening to so many different people who are all experts onthis or should I say have been in the hobby for years Is great but do you guys ever stop and read this and put yourself in the shoes of a newbie?

You guys all have different advice and you guys all correct each other..

I was told to not get a cuc now not realyl needed thenI am told I need it 100% WHich is it?

I am told to turn up the flow in my tank to get more circulation but then i just read it is not good for my sump/fuge which to me is doing nothing I still do not get the whole thing on a sum sorry. It is just like a canister except you can add meds and kep track of wate rlevels .

I really appreciate all advice on here but you guys have to understand this is a newbie posting area and you guys have to realize you are confusing more then you are helping.

Now can someone answer these

1- do i need a cuc crew now If so what?

2- can I use the canister to run the carbon and phosban since I paid $186 for it already andit is collecting dust.

3- I have 75 pds of rock why is that not enough

4- after turning up my flow in the sump I have cloudy water again any clue

freedominco
02/24/2008, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11933045#post11933045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
The return does help in the main tank.But to much flow in your fuge isnt good. You dont get the full effects from it.

Low flow cant be seen for months or yrs and by then most wont even think it was from flow and then spend money on some reactor that doesnt fix the problem then either give up or spend more uneeded money.Its only whene flow is very low that effect can be seen upfront from coral and CUC and fish death. At the first sign of nitrate, phosphate or poor fish and coral health think of this thread.

So how much flow is needed in a 75 gal? I don't have a fuge just a wet dry where the skimmer and return pump are located. So in my tank right now I have 2 korlia #3's one on each side of the back glass pointed towards each other kinda in a x pattern towards the front of the tank, there is also flow that is being created from the return pump, at first I had a sort of u shaped plastic return going into the tank but when I used that it seemed the water coming out of it was to powerfull so I connected the return hose to a dual bio wheel without the wheels which spread the return flow out over a larger area but causes bubbles, please tell me how much flow should I have? I see water flowing through the rocks by watching kenya trees move and GSP fluttering and cant keep sand to stay on one side of the tank.

reefergeorge
02/24/2008, 09:41 PM

2- can I use the canister to run the carbon and phosban since I paid $186 for it already andit is collecting dust.

4- after turning up my flow in the sump I have cloudy water again any clue [/B]
Take what everyone says as their opinion. Not the only way. There is a lot of different ways to get the same great looking tank.
In my opinion
1- I like nassarius (sp), and turbo snails. The nassarius snails spend most of their time mixing the sand bed, and the turbos on the glass.

2- I would run carbon, but the phosban requires low flow. (20-30 gph)

3- 75lbs is fine if you like the look of it.

4- Your return should not be used as the main source of flow. Shoot for around 3-4 times the tank volume, and use power heads for the main flow source. Your 2 koralia 3s should be fine.

BLKTANG
02/24/2008, 09:54 PM
First everybodys tank is different.So what works for me might not work for Jungle Joes 527g reef.These are my opinions on your questions.

1) I have been reefkeeping for 8 years (by far no expert) & never had a cucumber in any one of my tanks.

2) Take the $186 hit on the canister filter,& buy a TLF (2 Little Fishes) phosban reactor.

3) 75lbs of LR is plenty,as long as your nutrient export is of good quality.Example: you have a good quality skimmer,& do weekly waterchanges.(I have 55lbs of LR in my 75,but i have a skimmer rated for almost 200g.Bigger is better when it comes to skimmers)

4) I wish i could help you with this problem,i tried in your other posts,its just hard to figure out from the YouTube vids whats going on in your reef.Someone said in this post that too much flow through your sump is not good,that is IMO correct,& what i told you the other day.If the cloudyness came back after turning the flow up,then turn it back down.

Remember.Keep your head up,& take all the advice with a grain of salt,not all is good,but not all is bad either.

Good luck,& Happy Reefing.

demonsp
02/24/2008, 09:58 PM
LOL sorry my fault.I have a coral beuty. You have a flame angel.But there diet is the same.They are omnivores and require greens.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 09:59 PM
I do take all advice on here I do listen and read And it is clean up crew not cucumber?

Also I noticed two things for th ecloudyness the skimmer being off from thewater conditoner sending it haywire got rid of the debris I had the return slowed down but then I cannot tell if it is doing enought volume?

BLKTANG
02/24/2008, 10:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11933447#post11933447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ricky1066
I do take all advice on here I do listen and read And it is clean up crew not cucumber?

Also I noticed two things for th ecloudyness the skimmer being off from thewater conditoner sending it haywire got rid of the debris I had the return slowed down but then I cannot tell if it is doing enought volume?

A cucumber is part of a clean-up crew,but not a necessary part.Clean-up crew is based on what type of tank you are keeping.

I agree that nassarious snails,& turbo snails are a good clean-up crew.Thats what i keep in my reef,along with Red,& Blue legged reef hermits.I replenish my clean-up crew every 6 months to a year.

demonsp
02/24/2008, 10:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11933160#post11933160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ricky1066
I have to be honest Iam a newbie And listening to so many different people who are all experts onthis or should I say have been in the hobby for years Is great but do you guys ever stop and read this and put yourself in the shoes of a newbie?

You guys all have different advice and you guys all correct each other..

I was told to not get a cuc now not realyl needed thenI am told I need it 100% WHich is it?

I am told to turn up the flow in my tank to get more circulation but then i just read it is not good for my sump/fuge which to me is doing nothing I still do not get the whole thing on a sum sorry. It is just like a canister except you can add meds and kep track of wate rlevels .

I really appreciate all advice on here but you guys have to understand this is a newbie posting area and you guys have to realize you are confusing more then you are helping.

4- after turning up my flow in the sump I have cloudy water again any clue

You listed 60lbs in your profile.This isnt major low but your LR is your best bio filter for ammonia and nitrate control.
Your stock should be added in balance. Start with a few differant CUC like a few hermits and a few nass snails then wait a week and add a fish or coral then wait and add more CUC and a fish or coral.This way you dont overload the system and theres enough food source for all.Plus you can adjust the type of CUC you may need.

The main problem here is there is to many questions being asked.
You need to go slow and research more as many of these questions you should already know. Its a common fact that a minimum of 1 lb per gallon of LR is needed so it only shows your lacking in information.

Ricky1066
02/24/2008, 10:22 PM
OK demon I think you have to slow down Read again 60 lbs is ls not lr ,lr is 75 pounds as it is supposed ot be

I also added a fisha week as I read I added 5 snails and 12 hermit crabsd and waited So I did all I had to and all I was reading to do

demonsp
02/24/2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry your right.Though its the same thing with LS.Either way its not enough to about about.

Was the flow and lack of food for the omnivores.We use them for algea control.I didnt see any.

BLKTANG
02/24/2008, 10:30 PM
I dont want overload you with info,or start a heated debate about how many lbs of LR you need per gallon.

As i said before the 1lb per gallon is just so your biological foundation in your reef is not easily thrown outta wack.Ammonia,Nitrates,&Nitrites occour when the excess protiens are allowed to break down in your reef causing a problem,if you have a good skimmer,& good husbantry the "1lb per gallon" rule can be broken.I wouldnt advise a novice reefer to start pulling LR outta their reef.

This is a thread which can contest what im saying. 92g SPS Reef,& 25lbs of LR.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1216333

Arati
02/24/2008, 10:32 PM
I like it, the fish look happy to me. I only feed 1/4 a cube per day , but I only have 3 fish and 3 shrimp. do you dose mag/calc/alc ricky?

I think people are meaning that 1lb per gallon is not optimal, imo strive for 2lbs per gallon of lr, you dont wanna skimp on your two main filters liverock and protien skimmer. with a heavy bio load of fish keeping the nutrient import:export in check over the long term is gona be the hard part. once they start to build up it will snowball fast.

MTB
02/24/2008, 10:48 PM
I think it looks like a great start! I agree, the angel could use some nori on a clip but that is about it. Flow looks fine for a FOWLR. It right around 20x's an hour. A couple more #3's wouldn't hurt either.

EllieSuz
02/25/2008, 08:31 AM
CUC stands for "clean up crew", not cucumber. I made the same mistake when I first joined Reef Central. The abbreviations mystify me too. I made this remark yesterday also, but it bears repeating: "feeding your fish brine shrimp is like feeding your kids styrofoam". It's useless nutritionally. Suggest you switch to mysis or combined frozen foods. I'm pretty much a newbie also, so I'm hoping some of the veterans will comment.