PDA

View Full Version : bta just split

rope33
02/24/2008, 08:22 PM
I have kept a bta for two and a half yrs. started out very small, and now about 18 inches in diameter, very healthy. The other day my sump pump stoped working and didnt know that it happen for three days. when i replaced it, it took a couple days for my bta too come back out, and when it did I now have two of them. why do they do this and did this happen because of my pump problem. The water quality is awsome, just lost some of the flow when this happwned. Any info would be great. thank you!

garygb
02/24/2008, 08:44 PM
The change in conditions most likely prompted the anemone to clone.

rope33
02/25/2008, 07:48 AM
how does it happen and does it split through the center or the mouth/anus or what. how soon after this happens can i feed them, if it does split that way? thank you

garygb
02/25/2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, they just basically tear themselves apart, splitting through the mouth. I've watched them do it. The foot will begin to spread out and continue to pull until you have two. It can take a few hours to days.

Aaarrrggg
02/25/2008, 12:49 PM
There's some good pics of splitting here:
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/splittingofyourrose.htm

Funny the things that can make them split. Mine did it for the first time the other day after I stuck down a load of frags and made the water all cloudy with miliput. He screwed himself up and then went for it hehe :D