PDA

View Full Version : aquaconnect vs. helios

aquaconnect
02/24/2008, 09:29 PM
I've had my 180gal sps system up and running for about 4 yrs. 1 yr ago I broke it down and moved a few miles away, and instantly reassembled it. The first 3 years I ran 4 250hqi aquaconnects, then they became impossible to find, so last year I upgraded to 400 watt 20k helios with the big lumenarcs. LOVE THE BULB, hate the growth. It seems my corals beg me to grow, but just don't. Well, I purchased 1 14k 400 watt aquaconnect last week and put it in on Wednesday. Wow, what a huge color difference. I run 3 of the big lumenarc reflectors about 6" off the water with a chiller of coarse, and put 2 layers of eggcrate and 2 layers of screen mesh as to not burn anything. I can say that the 400's are nothing like the 250 double ended in color. The 400 aquaconnect doesn't have that 'pop' that I remember. However, in this short amout of time, I have seen some amazing growth under this bulb. In the past 5 days I've seen growth that takes weeks under the helios. I'm just at a delema. Most of of sps look just as good or better under the aquaconnect (my pink lemonade, purple monster, tyree soli, blue tort, pokerstar, you get the idea) but my green's don't pop anymore. For instance, my sunset used to be metalic green, and now it's not. Also, my huge colony of tyree red watermelon looks nothing like it used to, and has seemed to morph w/in this time frame.

So what to do.....I cannot run any supplement lighting. The way my system is designed, the lumenarcs are stand alone and they take up so much space that it's impossilbe to retro. What do you all think??? I'd really like to go ahead and get 2 more aquaconnects, but that $300 more towards this experiment. I just replaced my helios 2 weeks ago as well. So, I'm not sure what to do....just thought I'd ask for some opinions. http://