PDA

View Full Version : compact fluorescents question

crichard6069
02/25/2008, 08:11 AM
What's the wattage equivalent for compact fluorescents? For example, I know you should have between 5 - 8 watts/gallon in a decent reef tank (give or take).. however, if I put 130watt compact fluorescents over a 55g tank, that's only 2.3watts/gallon.

That doesn't seem right to me. I know with a household compact fluorescent a 20 watt bulb burns like a 75 watt incandescent. Does the same hold true for aquarium compacts? If so, does anyone know the numbers? Is a 130watt compact equivalent to around 300 watts of normal fluorescents?

Thanks..

hebygb
02/25/2008, 08:43 AM
wll I always counted watts as watts, and didnt do any conversion. CF vs. F. My guess is that within an hour someone will comment about how watts are not relevant and that you should be looking at PAR etc. Nobody seems to have come up with a conversion table that translates PAR into what is ever written on a label of a bulb or fixture...

crichard6069
02/25/2008, 08:47 AM
That's where I'm a bit confused. 130watts of compacts is the just about the same as putting in three standard 40 watt fluorescents.. so if watts are watts, why wouldn't someone just get a couple of regular fluorescent bulbs and save a few bucks? Aside from the energy efficiency, aren't compacts suppose to burn much brighter than a standard bulb?

I guess the question I'm asking is this: Is a regular 40 watt fluorescent bulb the same as a 40 watt compact? Or is a 40 watt compact equal to, say, two 40 watt regular fluorescents?

hebygb
02/25/2008, 08:55 AM
That is visible spectrum.... but doesnt have to do with the wavelength of light that reaches the coral. We see lots of light... it looks like our coral sees lots of light... but the strength of light is not seen by the inhabitants. At least that is how i understand it.

I have two fixtures... one is 384 watts PC... lights up the whole living room (as well as tank)... I also have a fixture with two 150 watt MHs... This is what I am using now.... quite honestly it lights up less of the room, but the lighting looks less intense than my PCs.... Time will tell as to which makes my tank happier. BTW I kept and keep a clam under both... does just fine.

crichard6069
02/25/2008, 09:00 AM
Interesting... thanks for the reply. I've been messing around in this hobby for a few years now. I've kept corals with limited success, etc. I've been instructed by my wife to remove my 24g aquapod because she didn't like it in the living room. With that said, some how I managed to get my 55g setup in my den and moved what was in the aquapod to there.

The aquapod was set up last April and was doing quite well until I had a horrific outbreak of flatworms this past fall. After finally getting those out of there (between flatworm exit and my own siphoning) I had lost about 4 corals (didn't lose any fish). So this past weekend I took my live rock, clown, 6 line wrasse, goby, and 3 remaining corals and set up my 55g.

I currently have the sunpod 150 watt MH stuck on the top of the 55g for a couple of days. I've ordered a 130watt compact fixture which will arrive tomorrow. I'm seriously considering moving the tank to a FOWLR but I haven't completely settled on that decision yet. We'll see.