PDA

View Full Version : Overflow bulkheads

TigerDigm
02/25/2008, 11:29 AM
Hello, i'm in the process of designing an HOB overflow, and was wondering if it would be ok to install my bulkheads in the side of the overflow instead of the bottom? I know this wouldn't be as efficient, but if i put 2 1" lines in the side, would this be ok? I am planning a 10 gallon sump, and assuming my return pump isn't too big, the drains should be able to keep up with the discharge, so the sump pump doesn't pump faster than i can be supplied. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

NocturnalReef
02/25/2008, 11:46 AM
you wouldn't want that...i wouldn't think.. the point of them being on the bottom one is to create a strong pull so you can start your overflow tubes. and also depending on how many u tubes you are using, if one goes out i would guess that if you had your overflow drilled on the side it would eventually fill up and overflow because it woudn't just drain like it would if it were drilled alone.
i would have to say i wouldn't suggest it... not on a overflow box.. you would have to many problems starting your suction and stuff.

NocturnalReef
02/25/2008, 11:47 AM
plus your going to have to add 90's ad stuff to bring it down to your sump which will also create a slower overflow if you have a strong pump