PDA

View Full Version : So I have to move my tank...

RiffRaff
02/25/2008, 12:17 PM
I have recently discovered that my tank is no longer level. This means that the integrity of the stand its on sucks. So i'm getting a new stand today. But none the less i still have to move it. I already planned on completely draining the water all the way down to the sand. But how devastating would it be if I changed the sand completely? I currently have fine sand but would like course sand. Will this mess up everything? Also, would it be ok to just reuse the water i have? Or would it be better to get new sand new water and pretty much start from scratch? This tank is only 6 weeks old to begin with.

Nykademus
02/25/2008, 01:36 PM
Being that the setup is new, I would probably just start from scratch if it were me. You are going to have to cycle again though if you remove the sand.

I would reuse some of the water and a couple cups of sand though as it would help seed the biological filtration.

Out of curiosity, how much live rock do you have (if any) and what kind of animals do you currently have in there?

kau_cinta_ku
02/25/2008, 01:45 PM
course sand as in crushed coral? if so I would stick with the fine sand IMO

Shawno
02/25/2008, 02:19 PM
Damn that sucks, i hope my new stand im building doesnt go outta level

RiffRaff
02/25/2008, 03:11 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/bodypiercer/aquarium/Picture020.jpg
I've got quite a bit going on in there. I have 2 clowns, a long nose hawkfish,a blue damsel,a diamond goby,a bi colored blenny, a rabbitfish, scallops few different corals growing now. I dont have to change the sand out. I was just wanting to because the scallop kicks the sand up everywhere. But if it is that bad of an idea, I'll just stick to what i have. What if Everytime I do a water change I take out a cup full of sand? Then just add a cup of coarse sand to it?