PDA

View Full Version : QT Tank Setup

reaganfan
02/25/2008, 02:03 PM
What is the simplest QT setup you can have?

What should be in it?

How do you treat the fish (copper)??

Thanks

Dan Thrash
02/25/2008, 04:48 PM
i setup a QT with just a 20 gal tank, cheap flourescent light hood, heater, powerhead and aquaclear filter. just soak the filter sponge in your main tank for a few weeks, then put it in the QT. i also added some PVC fittings for the fish to hide in. the only fish i have had in it were my clowns. i just put them in to observe. they never had ich or anything so i didnt have to treat them, but i keep them in there for a few weeks anyway.

reaganfan
02/25/2008, 06:27 PM
what do you add to the tank copper?

julianp
02/26/2008, 03:18 AM
I always do 6 weeks of hyposalinity (1.009 verified with a calibrated refractometer) on all fish. Lowers stress and eliminates any chance of parasite introduction to the display tank. This is done in a bare-bottom glass tank with big, black ABS pieces for hiding spots.

Anything "wet" other than fish (such as inverts, macroalgae, live rock) that I add I quarantine for 6 weeks in normal salinity in a separate quarantine tank with no bony fishes present. This way, parasite cysts present will complete their life cycle and die off because of lack of a fish host. This is done in a 10 gallon glass tank with a 1" sandbed so the crabs/snails are in a more natural environment.