PDA

View Full Version : How do i cut my ricordia????

jden092901
02/25/2008, 02:33 PM
I have 2 ricordia that I want to cut, so it can grow more...one has 2 months and the green one has one mouth. There both attatched to a rock...how would I frag them so i can start making a ricordia garden?

Thanks,

josh

Nykademus
02/25/2008, 02:38 PM
I could be wrong here, but I don't think you can just cut a ric like you can a mushroom.

jden092901
02/25/2008, 02:45 PM
I have a friend that did it...I thought you could...I could be wrong also...:)

seapug
02/25/2008, 03:42 PM
A method I've seen it is to lift the edge of the disk and superglue a very small rock to the underside of it. The weight of the rock will cause the disk to stretch and eventually drop off a baby. My rics have actually done this on their own in my tank. One of my blue ones just dropped a baby this past weekend.

Harlikwin2000
02/25/2008, 04:47 PM
I've done it with pretty good success. If you can get to the stem part of the mushroom use a very sharp razorblade to sever it cleanly from the rock, the remaining root if all grows well will have a new head making a whole new mushroom in a couple weeks. Then you can cut the top like a pizza, just try to do it evenly to keep part of the mouth on each piece. Keep in mind your pieces are going to be small and will heal to make small mushrooms that will eventually grow back to the original size, so be sure you put them somewhere where they won't get blown away somewhere you don't want them. I recommend a small isolation area with low flow where they can settle and attach to small rocks you can set them on. But yes whether ricordia or discosoma, the process is basically the same.