PDA

View Full Version : Which t5 ho light.

triggerfreak
02/25/2008, 03:47 PM
I am looking at getting one or these two lighting fixtures for my 55 gallon tank to turn it into a reef.I would like to hear from people that have one of these lights.Which one and how do they like it.And for all the people that want to tell me to go with a light that has individual reflectors, i don't want to hear it.I have been through this before and i know what i want.All i want is to here about people that have these and how they like them and maybe pics of there tanks with them on.Both are 4 bulb 4x54 watt.
1st is a finnix xl-t4854 48'' 4 bulb ho t5 light.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/Triggerfreak/P37_107_192.jpg

2nd is the nova extreme t5 ho 48" 4 bulb light
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/Triggerfreak/1140074712.jpg

sirreal63
02/25/2008, 03:55 PM
Here or hear? What are you going to try and keep alive? If it is mushrooms and zoa or paly's and gsp either light will be fine.

triggerfreak
02/25/2008, 04:13 PM
Zoo, palys, softies, lps and some clams up high. The same stuff i am keeping in my 20 long.No sps.And by the way my 20 long only has around 60 watts of regular t5.And it has amazing growth and if flourishing to the point that i had to tun my 55 into a reef. So that light is plenty for what i am going to keep in the tank.

sirreal63
02/25/2008, 04:23 PM
It will be ok for those creatures, the clam only if up high though. A 55 is a horrible size for a reef, too tall and narrow and hard to aquascape. It can be done but a 75 is so much easier to work with. The really hard thing is at some point you will want higher light loving corals and then you get to buy lighting all over again. Many of us went down that road. Buy it twice or buy it once.

triggerfreak
02/25/2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah well the 55 is what i have.It was my aggressive tank and i just got everything from that tank transferred into there new 210 gallon tank.And my 20 can't fit any more and everything will be transferred into the 55 to be the new reef.And all the years i have been in this hobby i have only seen 1 or 2 sps i like and that ain't enough for my to go halide.And the clam that i have now is a low light squomossa ( excuse the spelling ) and is doing great with plenty of growth.And all my lps are doing great to, so the upgrade in lighting should be great for them.And yeah i know that the lights with the individual reflectors are better but i have seen some awsome tanks with the nova lights.

sirreal63
02/25/2008, 04:38 PM
No worries and I understand. I am running the 58 with 2-96 watt pc's because it is all softies while I have the halides sitting in boxes. I am going to start up a large reef again in the next year but there is no need in lighting mushrooms with halides. :D