PDA

View Full Version : Reeflo Hammerhead seals - lifespan?

SDguy
02/25/2008, 03:50 PM
So my Sequence Reeflo Hammerhead pump on my closed loop started making noises last night. The pump has been running in place for over a year and a half. It have never been moved, disconnected, or cleaned for that matter. Upon inspecting the drive shaft, I felt moisture and salt buildup. Due to its location, I can't really tell how much salt is there.

I spoke to the manufacturer this morning. The lady said the noise is probably due to water getting to the bearings. I asked if the verticle mount of the pump was an issue. She said no...once the seals leak, water will get to the bearings, whether it is vertical or horizontal. The good news, she said, is that this will only make the pump louder, not make it stop working, so I'm good until the new one arrives. The pump is under warranty. They are sending me a new one, and as soon as it comes, I can switch it out, and send them my old one. Once they had inspected my old one, I will ask the things I'm dying to know, like why this happened? Could I have done something to prevent it? What will happen once the 3 year warranty period is over?

Hopefully they will included prepaid shipping label for returning this beast, as well...

Crusty Old Shellback
02/25/2008, 03:54 PM
Sequence is a stand up company in my book. They did the same for me in replacing a noisy pump. New one works fine.

As for replacing the seals, it's an easy task and they will sell them to you. Replacing the bearings though is a bit harder but can be done. Biggest part is the age of the motor as one of mine, the bearings were frozen to the shaft and were a B!tch to get off.

Not for sure how often the seals should be replaced. May check them once a year or rplace them once a year. It's a simple process and can give you a easy of mind if you do replace them. They are graphite/ceramic and so they will wear out. How long? Who knows.

SDguy
02/25/2008, 03:59 PM
It is a simple process? OK, because looking at the manual, that deconstructed diagram of the pump scares me :o

Crusty Old Shellback
02/25/2008, 04:24 PM
It's easy. Remove the bolts that hold the outter housing on. Hold the motor shaft and turn the pump impeller CCW to remove it. Pry out the old seal from the back of the impeller and the housing thats still on the pump. Install the new seal in the reverse order taking care not to damage the seal or touch the face of the seal. If you touch it, just make sure it's cleaned with isopropoyal alchol before assembly. Reassemble in reverse order. It's that simple for the seals. ;)

cweder
02/25/2008, 04:45 PM
When I was sent replacement seals. The directions said to add some kind of gasket seal....let it cure then reassemble. The application of the silicone gasket seal is what got me.

Crusty: are you saying the gasket sealent is not important?

Crusty Old Shellback
02/25/2008, 09:35 PM
I actually used some ARP thread sealant that I had laying around from building my motor. It dosen't come in contact with the water and it dosen't harden. The sealant is just to make sure that the interface between the metal outer ring of the seal is watertight against the lip of the inner housing that it fits into.