PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab

stiltman
02/25/2008, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I picked up an Emerald Crab from a LFS not too long ago. Unfortunately I didn't exam him too much before I bought him.

He is missing at least 3 legs. This doesn't seem to affect him much. He eats like a champ and is quite mobile.

This is a dumb question, but..... will the legs grow back?

Also, what's a good name for a crab missing limbs. So far I've eliminated Lucky.

invertaman
02/26/2008, 03:23 PM
Yes they will at the next molt

stiltman
02/26/2008, 05:32 PM
great, thanks

lloydkeller
03/09/2008, 12:16 PM
i have had mine lose theres in the tank somehow and they come right back there amazeing

stiltman
03/09/2008, 03:54 PM
Good to hear that. How often do they molt? This guy is hilarious, sometimes when I walk in the room he holds up his claws like "hey! I'm busy over here!!!"

Tennyson
03/10/2008, 11:02 AM
Invertaman, it doesn't take one molt for their legs to grow back. I've had my emerald lose legs, and he would molt about three times, then everything would be normal, or that could just be my crabs.

My shrimp lost one of its legs, its molted twice, and its just starting to grow back, so it doesn't just take one molt to grow it back completely, unless someone can prove me wrong.

Sorry Stiltman, I don't keep track as to how often they molt. I think maybe once every 2-5 weeks.

Guygettnby
03/12/2008, 06:37 AM
i do believe it depends on the size of the crabs as to how often they molt. my smaller crabs molt once every 2 weeks and my bigger crabs molt about once a month. it also takes several molts for the legs or claws to fully grow back.

Guygettnby
03/12/2008, 06:52 AM
oh yea and a good name would be Gimpy!

stiltman
03/12/2008, 12:27 PM
Nice I like it.

Well, Gimpy is in charge of a 14 gallon biocube with a couple cerinth snails. He destroyed all the hair and bubble algae I was having a problem with and now I feed him sea weed on a daily basis.

Is he going to be ok in my tank or am I going to have to give him to a friend?

Guygettnby
03/12/2008, 06:12 PM
he will be fine in your tank. he will eat anything you put in there for food. i have 2 in a 5.5g thats my wifes and they do fine. he will forage for food all day long and keep your little algea problem at bay.

.::Jun77::.
03/14/2008, 05:30 PM
do your emeralds bother other tank inhabitants? sorry stiltman
if i hijack you post

Guygettnby
03/14/2008, 08:54 PM
i only had 1 emerald that ever bothered any other tank mates and he was like 2-3in big... biggest one i have ever seen. but he would go after others when he was hungry or when i fed the tank. other then that one i havent had any problems, i know of some people who have but everybody is different.

stiltman
03/15/2008, 03:51 PM
no problem jun77, I was going to ask the same question myself.

I don't have any fish in the tank. So I am a bit concerned. I was thinking about a purple firefish or a false perc. Does anyone see this as a concern in a biocube 14?

.::Jun77::.
03/15/2008, 05:03 PM
thanks, i have a firefish myself and i can literally lift the rock that he sleeps into and it dosent move at all. so im having thoughts of getting a crab. lets wait for the others opinion

Guygettnby
03/15/2008, 05:44 PM
i have never had a problem with any of the crabs ever going after fish. just them going after some other crabs or snails.

langel
03/16/2008, 03:35 PM
Hi there, well I purchased an emerald crab about 2 months ago, I also added a purple firefish 2 weeks ago. The emerald crab has been hanging around where the purple firefish likes to sleep and now I can't find my fish. I have a bad feeling that the crab got him. I am so sad!!! So I am thinking of removing the crab, however I don't know how to get him out. Anyone have any ideas?:(

langel
03/16/2008, 04:44 PM
Well since my post I was able to catch the crab. I will take him to the LFS tomorrow. So disappointed on what happened, I am 85% sure it was the emerald crab that got him. The emerald crab was hanging out in the area where the purple firefish would sleep, and I found a tiny piece of what used to be my fish. About 5 days ago something had bit one of my mushrooms and then I noticed the emerald crab there. So in this case the emerald crab was not a friendly addition to my tank.

stiltman
03/16/2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear that langel