PDA

View Full Version : smallest and most colorful tang?

jubjub
02/25/2008, 06:25 PM
considering i have a 75gal (60" long) tank im looking at options for tangs in the near future but i have some prerequisites

1. wont get to big
2. doesnt cost arm and a leg
3. fairly hardy since im still kind of new (but have had fresh water tanks before)
4. colorful

i kinda considered getting a yellow tang, or a kole tang, something that plays nice with a blue tang.

so far total stocking list im thinking of
2 clowns
3-5 blue/green chromis
1 blue tang
1 other tang
1 green mandarin (in a year or two)
2 royal grama's
1 yellow clown goby
1 jawfish

is this to much? im trying to get a wide variety of colors. or any other suggestions?

sunfish11
02/25/2008, 06:48 PM
Why a blue tang? They get HUGE and grow fast. I don't think you should get one for a 75. If you insist then I would skip another one. One purple, yellow, or bristletooth family tang should be max for a 75 IMO. I am not sure but wont two grama's kill each other? Otherwise your list looks good.

Lisa

Laddy
02/25/2008, 06:59 PM
You'll want to reconsider any of those tangs really, especially if you're just starting out. That is a lot of bio load on that tank, regardless of your setup.

Might I recommend hardier fish, a few which you mentioned in your posting: Ocellaris/Percula, gobies, hawkfish (as long as you don't rely too heavily on your cleanup crew). All the tangs you mentioned will grow....heck you'd be amazed at the size clown fish get in a big tank from year-to-year.

jubjub
02/25/2008, 07:22 PM
ahhh okay i wanted a blue tang mostly because well.....ok this sounds lame but i already got 1 clown, crab got my other one, but g/f really wants a Dora as she put it and hopefully this could help her get into the hobby some to....and i be honest i do kinda want one as well....

is a purple tang really a good choice though i was reading and liveaquaria suggests 100gal tank and they are aggressive

i read yellow's require 100gal

a tomini bristletooth is a possibility i guess says 6"

why is a kole eye a bad choice? other then just the bioload it says should only be 6-7"

Aadler
02/25/2008, 07:43 PM
the tomini flameback is my favorite tang, not that ive ever owned one, but they are pretty cool fish, but there is a downside. Unfortunantly I am away form home for work and don't have my books with me... and I can't remember what it is. Maybe someone else can help you out.

But im married, most bad decisions I make in this hobby are d/t my wife. just get her a dora. ;c)

xxseawolf
02/25/2008, 07:53 PM
the dora tang is a regal or hippo tang and they get big and aggressive for a 75g. a purple or a yellow tang would be ok. a kole tang would be ok as they are less aggreesive. i have a purple tang and they are beautiful but can get aggressive. good luck.

todd

LobsterMan
02/25/2008, 08:23 PM
I would get a powder brown tang minnum tank size 70 gallon.

Reeftanks6
02/25/2008, 08:33 PM
I think the bristletooth family will be your best bet.

tangers
02/25/2008, 08:58 PM
I would go with a chevron. There color is best when very small which is what your going to need with a tank that size. In my opinion their color is by far one of the best, and they are a member of the bristletooth family so they will stay small and do an excellent job cleaning the tank.

Reeftanks6
02/25/2008, 09:02 PM
That is a great choice and one other that you can take into consideration is the Tomini Tang this is a great tang. Very peaceful and hardy. Always picking at rocks from what i have heard and they have very bright tail fins.

sean48183
02/25/2008, 09:15 PM
By the blue tang small and you will be fine until you want to upgrade and you will want to upgrade-trust me. They don't grow as fast in captivity.

Your list looks fine but if you are going to put this many fish in your tank I suggest you run a big fuge. Could be looking at a bit of an algae problem otherwise.

jubjub
02/25/2008, 10:11 PM
oh i would guess my fuge is probably around 25-30gallons...with about a 2" live sand bed... yeah i would of liked a 125gal tank butttt..... since im new i didnt wanna go totally overboard

i like the idea of the cheveron tang or purple tang as long as its not gonna eat my other fish...bit expensive maybe it will be my last fish....haha

jubjub
02/25/2008, 10:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11941774#post11941774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterMan
I would get a powder brown tang minnum tank size 70 gallon.

arent the powder tangs like real prone to ich vs the others?

sean48183
02/25/2008, 10:50 PM
On a 75g that is 60" long how wide is it? Just curious. Nice size fuge for your tank I think your stock list looks fine and the blue should be fine for a couple of years also if added small.

zemuron114
02/26/2008, 02:38 AM
chevron is by far the most colorful small tang (even as adult it shimmers a sweet purple/blue) - pricey though.

next would have to be the tomini IMO.
lavender next maybe... :)

jdieck
02/26/2008, 02:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11942137#post11942137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangers
I would go with a chevron. There color is best when very small which is what your going to need with a tank that size. In my opinion their color is by far one of the best, and they are a member of the bristletooth family so they will stay small and do an excellent job cleaning the tank.
They grow large, up to 10 inches. They adult coloration is really dull.
The one on the right being flashed by the achilles is a chevron close to adulthood and starting to get the darkbrown coloration.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/523/18470AchillesS.jpg

mattsilvester
02/26/2008, 03:01 AM
I dunno if you are still getting a regal tang or not, but here is a pic that might encourage you not to:
http://www.trapper300.co.uk/photos/albums/userpics/10002/terrible2.jpg
(user name:Gillybaby - if you want to PM him for an opinion)
This fat healthy specimen is about 8" long and growing and is in a 6x2x2 tank...... this is but one example of this fish that I can think of...... there is another user on here that had a 12" specimen....

They get big, and get big quickly, and are very active....... not heads down grazers like zebrasoma tangs....... and besides, if it is ich you are worried about..... these guys are magnets too..... at least when first introduced - although they are very hardy once in captivity for 6 months or so.....

Purple tang - mine is a right swine..... very saucy..... much more beligerent than my powder blue...... inspite of being subdominant to the powder blue. He frequently squares up with my emporer angel (which is twice his size). These fish are in an 8x2x2.

I'm not recommending anything here...... just sharing my experience such that you may draw your own conclusions :)

HTH

Matt

Reeftanks6
02/26/2008, 05:25 AM
Yes i would not go with the Blue hippo will get to big for your tank eventually.

techigirl78
02/26/2008, 08:15 AM
I agree with Matt. Hippo is a bad choice for a 75. I have one in a 125 and I want to upgrade as the fish makes it look small (7-8"). They are also ich magnets - similar to powder blue and brown tangs. Tell your girlfriend bubbles will fit, but not dori. ;)

Ask her what she likes best about dori. Color? Active? I'm sure there's other fish she'll like, she just may not know yet.

If you go with a jawfish, make sure you add it as the next fish. Usually they should be the first added, but the clowns shouldn't bother it too much.

I'd only go with one royal gramma.

FutureInterest
02/26/2008, 08:50 AM
I say lose the girlfriend and get whatever fish YOU want.

jubjub
02/26/2008, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11945411#post11945411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FutureInterest
I say lose the girlfriend and get whatever fish YOU want.

well......we definitely know who's single and probably stay single on this forum... lol..j/k

size of the tank is 60x18x16

i must admit the lavender is quite a stunning fish as well...maybe i will read about them next....

sounds like a blue tang might be cool for short term but in the long run its probably not a good idea, well phoeey... guess thats out of the picture...

okay i will keep looking for some in the bristletooth family, i do like the tomini, kole eye, lavender, and the purple was suggested as well. i have read a decent amount about each one and their needs i guess the only real last test is to goto a store and see what ones personality i like best.

i do appreciate everyones responses helping me pick the right fish for my tank. as the fish i get probably would appreciate it to lol

FutureInterest
02/26/2008, 10:55 AM
Actually, I'm happily married :).

My tank is similar in dimensions actually. 60 x 18 x 18. I keep a purple and a tomoni. Add the tomoni first or it will get destroyed by the more aggressive purple.

In fact try to make the purple your last addition if possible. They will sometimes harass every newcomer to the tank.

Its good to have a bristletooth and a zebrasoma as they both eat different types of algae.

Anyways, I made the mistake of getting a sailfin tang as my first tang. It was and always will be my favorite fish. It outgrew my tank though and I ended up giving him away for free so that he could go to a new larger home.

bladeruner143
02/26/2008, 02:46 PM
Hey jubjubrsx, I was actually contemplating the same thing for my tank ,75G also, and I decided on the yellow tang. It is going to be my first tang, and Ive heard that they are the hardiest of them all and aren't very expensive

jubjub
02/26/2008, 03:28 PM
oh in a few months i thought i read they are going to be very expensive bladerunner some new law passed or something.....

Reeftanks6
02/26/2008, 04:19 PM
Yes i hear about that law as well i dont know if it will fall through but the yellow tangs will be so hard to get and they will cots about 300 dollars for one. I think the Lavender will be a great choice. Or anything from the birstletooth family.

J. Montgomery
02/26/2008, 05:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11940823#post11940823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sunfish11
One purple, yellow, or bristletooth family tang . . .

I am not sure but wont two grama's kill each other? Otherwise your list looks good.
Those are good tang recommendations. Try to get a small juvenile.

Royal Grammas can be kept in groups of one male with one or more females.

techigirl78
02/26/2008, 05:54 PM
I didn't know you could keep grammas in groups. Is there any where to sex them?

xxtriggermanxx
02/26/2008, 06:25 PM
how about a mimic? Yes I know they are brown ,but the bright yellow/orange edges really pop :eek1:

jubjub
02/26/2008, 07:20 PM
im starting to lean to a purple tang.....since they are classified as aggressive, are they just aggressive to other tangs or will they be like tank bullies?.....on second thought not sure i can fathom spending 80$+ on a fish......until i have like 125gal+

so, im prob down to like a lavender, tomini or a yellow they are realatively cheap

wow, man who would of thought a small, colorful fish thats cheap to... man i want my cake and eat it to... lol...

SDguy
02/26/2008, 07:23 PM
Keep in mind that the smaller the tank, usually = more aggressive tang, to all fish.

Reeftanks6
02/26/2008, 07:24 PM
I have heard stories about them attacking other fish in the tank.

xxseawolf
02/26/2008, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11950861#post11950861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reeftanks6
I have heard stories about them attacking other fish in the tank. i have a purple tang and it bullied my CB angel for a while(its ok now) but killed my pearlescale butterfly.

jubjub
02/26/2008, 08:51 PM
well...guess the purple tang is out of the picture for good...cant have it killing the rest of my fishies off..and its expensive so.....thats just not good imo

Reeftanks6
02/26/2008, 08:53 PM
I dont blame you. I mean these fish are so beautiful but they are just way to aggressive.

Justinandkrista
02/26/2008, 08:54 PM
I just stay away from tangs all together. You would be beter off geting a yellow tail damsel and just tell your girl friend thats dori.

Reeftanks6
02/26/2008, 08:55 PM
LOL. So what are your other choices for the tank.

jubjub
02/26/2008, 09:54 PM
well maybe this weekend i will goto sacramento and take a look around at the selection no use in picking one i cant find lol...im really debating now lavender tang (if i can find one), 2spot bristletooth, or a yellow......... ahh this sucks so many choices

jubjub
02/26/2008, 09:59 PM
lavender tang
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/5C062F1CF16140C5A940DAAE80303EC8.jpg

two spot
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20070618145724/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/bigimage/lg_39118.jpg

yellow tang
well 1000 of those pics on here

opinions?

Kahuna Tuna
02/26/2008, 10:59 PM
The only tang I would do in a tank that size is a bristletooth, most stay small for tangs and are one of the mellower genus. I have a two spot and love him. Heres my boy.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1583mini-new_blue_eye_tang.JPG

Reeftanks6
02/27/2008, 05:33 AM
I think you have three good choices to choose from. IMO i dont really like the color of the Two Spot. The lavender tang is great and as they get older i believe they get darker. I also think the yellow tang is a good choice for your tank. Good Luck hope this helps.