PDA

View Full Version : help with sump return

cla337
02/25/2008, 08:32 PM
I'm trying to use a Mag 9.5 for my return on my 55gal. I'm using it in conjunction with an oceansmotions 4 way wave maker (forgot what exact model). I'm trying to avoid having to use a regulator so I don't generate extra heat and have really good flow. I've already punched 4 1" drains and they still aren't enuf. I don't want to use any powerheads.

Should I
1) step down to a mag 7 (I have an extra)
2) install the regulator
3) just punch a 5th 1"bulk head drain

sjm817
02/25/2008, 09:38 PM
A mag9 after headloss and such maybe does 600 - 700 GPH. Two 1" drains should be more than enough to handle that. How are these 1" drains set up?

cla337
02/25/2008, 09:59 PM
I'm not using an overflow. I just have the 4 bulkheads drilled near the top of the tank so if my pump fails, then it will only drain off the display about 2" from the top. I actually have 3 1" and 1 3/4" drains.

I think I'll just run a mag 7. That'll be around 500 gph inflow. You think that's enough flow thru a ocean motion so that I won't need any powerheads?

sjm817
02/25/2008, 10:04 PM
I would put a valve on the Mag9 instead of using a Mag7. The Mag9 is a better pump. Thats kind of minimal flow depending on what you are keeping in the tank. The OM will help.

petedoc
02/25/2008, 10:25 PM
I have used a Mag 7 for a return on my 135gal reef system for four years and it is plenty adequate. It returns through a pair of SCWDs that lie just below the surface and create a nice whirlpool in the tank. I do use a couple of Tunze Turbelles for flow in the tank, but it is twice as big as your system. Try the Mag 7 and see how it works!

cla337
02/26/2008, 01:51 AM
My main flow needs are to keep the crap from settling. the only SPS I have are Monti caps. Other than that I have Zoos, Shrooms, Clams, frog spawn, brains, acans, blastos.

I'm also concerned that too much flow thru the return will reduce the effectiveness of my protein skimmer. The sump is 25 gallons, but really only filled to about 15 gallons. I only have a piece of acrylic jammed in bw some LR to kinda separate the in and out flow sections.

Anybody not use powerheads and just use the flow from the return pumps?