PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Calcium reactor into a Kalkreactor

petedoc
02/25/2008, 09:55 PM
Has anyone tried this? I am tired of trying to control this dang thing. I have been using kalk for 4 years in my systems and it works well. I bought a Calcium Reactor because thats what you are supposed to do. I hate messing with this thing! It leaks, it is noisy, I can't seem to adjust the bubble counter correctly, and finally the bubble counter broke! I am considering converting it into a kalkreactor. It seems like it would be simple. Just disconnect the CO2 and replace the calcium with Kalk. Whats wrong with this idea?

petedoc
02/25/2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe I should just try it and see what happens?

sjm817
02/25/2008, 10:35 PM
Kalk is best used by simply mixing it in the topoff container. A Kalk reactor is just adding unnecessary complexity to a very simple method of ca/alk supplementation method.

petedoc
02/25/2008, 11:02 PM
I agree, to a certain degree. This is for my 270 gal reef with total water volume of almost 400 gallons. I need an automated system that uses my auto-topoff RO/DI. The systems needs to be simple and provide about 3-4 gallons/day.

sjm817
02/25/2008, 11:06 PM
You topoff directly from the RO/DI? Without getting into the potential dangers of that (I'm sure you know), yes, that is a good app for a Kalk reactor. They are pretty simple. What will mix it?

petedoc
02/25/2008, 11:14 PM
Kalkreators typically use either a magnetic stirrer or a recirc pump. I have a simple unit on my 135 reef using a RO filter canister half filled with Kalk. It is mixed when the topoff system runs, controlled by an auto-topoff.

sjm817
02/25/2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I used to have one with a magnetic stir bar. I mean what will mix it if you convert the ca reactor? Just the water passing through it can get you a strong enough saturation? Ca reactors are kind of spendy. I would sell it and get or make a kalk reactor.

ErikS
02/26/2008, 07:29 AM
Ca reactors are kind of spendy. I would sell it and get or make a kalk reactor.
That's the best solution, depending on brand you could sell the CA reactor for what the kalk reactor would cost.

Depending on design conversion could be a PITA, not worth the time or trouble.

petedoc
02/26/2008, 07:37 AM
This is an old Calcium Reactor that I purchased used several years ago, so it's value isn't all that much. The unit has a mag 2 for circulation, so I plan to leave that in position to provide mixing. I could sell the CO2 tank, for whatever that is worth. Also, Kalkreactors are not all that cheap, although you can make a simple container system, it will not work with an auto-topoff.

cayars
02/26/2008, 08:10 AM
It should work fine and by by-passing the CO2 you basically have a recirc Kalk reactor anyway.

Just set a timer on the recirc pump to mix once a day and then let it settle out before dosing.

Carlo

petedoc
02/26/2008, 09:04 AM
Carlo, good idea about the timer, thanks

cayars
02/27/2008, 05:49 PM
No problem, let us know how it's working.

Carlo