PDA

View Full Version : Whats Best Light For 20L?

jovis
02/25/2008, 11:25 PM
So its time to upgrade lights, I've been running 3- 2x18w T5 NO strips for a while and they have served me well, I have been able to keep all sorts of SPS with little to no whiting out, but damn are they ugly!!! Plus I'm ready to reef topless ohmy.gif

OK I need some help making my decision, so I figure it would be best to leave it to the experts!!

So at this point Im over the fact that everything in this hobby is ridiculously expensive, so money isn't really a concern, i just want the best possible light.

Here are some ideas I had:
1. Current USA 24 inch Outer Orbit 1x250w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x24W T5 HO & 12 Lunar Lights, IS THIS TOO MUCH LIGHT FOR A 20L?, also this light is 15" wide, my 20l is only 13" wide, will the T5 light still make it in my tank?

2. Aqua Medic Ocean Light T5/Metal Halide Combo Series: there 24" fixture is only 13.75" wide, but there is only 2 T5's, Any comments on the quality of this fixture?

3. Cheapo ebay fixture, couldn't get link to work but you know what one im talking about,
But good enough right?

4. Other pendant, ex. PFO Lighting HQI Mini Pendants, Aqua Medic Ocean Light HQI pendant, Icecap pendant
what ballast is preferred, Icecap, Lumatek, PFO?

P.S. Is a 250W system too much? Am I going to have to buy a chiller? Even with it suspended?

Thanks for the help I'm a total newb to MH

Jovis

jovis
02/26/2008, 09:06 AM
Bump

jovis
02/26/2008, 11:59 AM
I got antsy this morning b/c no fish stores in Columbus have anything I wanted in stock (Phishy Business isn't open Mondays or Tuesdays), so i went ahead and ordered my light from marinedepot.

I ordered:
1x PFO HQI 250 Watt Metal Halide Mini Pendant
1x Lumatek 250W / 120V Digital Ballast
1x 250 Watt 20000K Metal Halide Bulb - XM
Also
2x Hydor Koralia 1 Circulation Pump
1x JBJ Ocean Pulse - DUO Wavemaker
it's time to retire the Powersweeps!!!

Any comments on the ballast? bulb?
I did think that it was stupid that you have to order a $15 adapter plug with a useless extra power cord just so you can wire up a quick disconnect socket. sad.gif o well

Jovis