PDA

View Full Version : Devcon Epoxy toxic? Did I screw up an acrylic patch?

stunreefer
02/25/2008, 11:52 PM
I'm setting up a new system and had to patch a hole in my acrylic sump. There was a hole drilled for a bulkhead in a side that I could never use (due to my stand set-up), so I wanted to patch it. I bought a small square piece of 1/4" acrylic, then proceeded to go to ACE hardware and buy some Devcon High Strength 2-Ton Clear epoxy (its a 2-part "all-purpose"epoxy). I went home and patched the hole, and very stupidly, didn't even think twice about the toxicity of the epoxy (until I was done and it was dry - of course).

Has anyone ever used this brand/type of epoxy before? I plan on contacting the company to see what they say if need be. Also, this is for a system thats still under construction, so there will be freshwater running through for a week or so, then drained and I will add RO and salt. I'm thinking this will also help "cure" or "offgas" the epoxy? LMK what you guys think.

Thanks, Austin

ChemE
02/26/2008, 01:51 AM
It is pretty unlikely that this product will be toxic to your reef. They are probably using benzyl alcohol as a plasticizer but there shouldn't be any metallic or ceramic fillers which could leach heavy metals in the ppm range. Either way there isn't much wetted surface area of the epoxy so there should be very little surface available for leaching. If you can't tell this is my business. I'm the engineering manager for the top of the line epoxy manufacturer. Devcon is our super-low-cost competitor.

stunreefer
02/26/2008, 08:05 AM
Alright thanks ChemE, I was thinking the same thing about how much of the actual epoxy will be exposed to the water..... not much. Its just around the edges of the "patch".

I wish I would've thought this through and talked to someone like you prior to using this stuff... hindsight is a *****. This was the one thing I didn't heavily research about the new tank. I just thought "Lets go get a patch and some glue and fix this crap so I can move on with the installation." Glad I didn't mess up too bad... lets hope.

stunreefer
02/26/2008, 02:01 PM
Found some more info on the MSDS sheet regarding the two parts in the epoxy, the resin and the hardener:

2-Ton Clear Epoxy Resin:
Chemical Name: Bisphenol A diglycidyl ether resin
CAS#: 25068-38-6 60 - 100 by Weight

2-Ton Clear Epoxy Hardener:
Chemical Name:
Nonylphenol, CAS#: 25154-52-3 60 - 100 by Weight

Aminoethylpiperazine, CAS#: 140-31-8 10 - 30 by Weight

Here is a link to product:
http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=179&catid=37

Pbrown3701
02/26/2008, 02:38 PM
my question is for a acrylic to acrylic patch, why did you use epoxy instead of acrylic solvent? I have had mixed results with epoxy sticking to acrylic longterm. Methylene Cholride would have made a permanent bond as it fuses the acrylic together...just for future reference.

stunreefer
02/26/2008, 04:01 PM
Simply put...I didn't know any better. I'm trying to get this set-up done, its been two months in progress with at least a few more to go, and I figuired this would be a quick-easy-fix and didn't think it thru. For future reference thats great... But for now, I went to a local acrylic supplier and purchased an acrylic patch, they didn't sell solvent/glue and told me to go down the street to ACE Hardware. I went and the guy reccommended me the epoxy. I purchased it and used it already. as mentioned in my first post, hindsight is a *****, I definently would have and should have used the solvent or correct glue.

stunreefer
02/27/2008, 08:47 AM
FYI I just got word back from Devco:

"Austin; I have to suggest that you cover it since we do not have approvals for that application. Sorry!!"

Pbrown3701
02/27/2008, 09:13 AM
THey're just covering their ***. You should be fine. Once epoxy is cured completely, it is extremely stable and shouldn't leach anything. Just so long as there is no metal in the matrix i wouldn't worry (as ChemE above said).

Also, for future reference - i usually look for the epoxy that says "for plastics" and doesn't list "metal" as an appropriate material to use it on. I've used epoxy in my tank for years (various kinds) and I've never had a problem (other than it not binding to acrylic longterm in some cases).

IF you're really worried about it, just dap some silicone all over it to cover the epoxy - but not necessary IMO.

stunreefer
02/27/2008, 01:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11955575#post11955575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pbrown3701
THey're just covering their ***. You should be fine. Once epoxy is cured completely, it is extremely stable and shouldn't leach anything. Just so long as there is no metal in the matrix i wouldn't worry (as ChemE above said).

Also, for future reference - i usually look for the epoxy that says "for plastics" and doesn't list "metal" as an appropriate material to use it on. I've used epoxy in my tank for years (various kinds) and I've never had a problem (other than it not binding to acrylic longterm in some cases).

IF you're really worried about it, just dap some silicone all over it to cover the epoxy - but not necessary IMO.

Awesome, thanks for your input Pbrown3701. I have done a couple tests on the patch, binding wise, and I don't think this thing is going anywhere!