PDA

View Full Version : Phosban 150 Question

iwishtofish
02/26/2008, 07:20 AM
Can anyone tell me if it matters if the GFO media falls through the sponge at the bottom of the reactor? I plan to use some PhoSAR pellets (tiny) that I have already purchased. They are too tiny even for an 800 micron bag.

landlord
02/26/2008, 08:03 AM
I do not think they will fall through the sponge. They will compact against themselves within the surface structures of the sponge material. I do not remember PhoSAR being that tiny. I guess if it fell through in a large enough quantity you would have a real mess down there but I think you will be fine.

--landlord

iwishtofish
02/26/2008, 09:02 AM
Thank you, landlord. I do know that the PhoSAR pellets started to leak out of the mesh of an 800 micron filter bag I bought to put in the sump, so I abandoned that idea. The sponges in the reactor seem to be extemely coarse in comparison to the filter bag, but I'll give it a try!

packer
02/26/2008, 09:09 AM
The flow in the reactor is upwards so some might go below the sponge but it will not be a problem as they will only be pushed back up into the sponge if they do go anywhere.

landlord
02/26/2008, 09:11 AM
Also keep in mind that bag is a very thin sheet. I agree 800 microns is 800 microns but the sponge has depth to it. Plus what was mentioned in the post ^. 800 microns is almost a millimeter which in the grand spectrum of things is quite a large particle and easily caught by most sponges.

--landlord

tankman10000
02/26/2008, 09:17 AM
you should be ok

jimwat
02/26/2008, 09:24 AM
Going through the bottom sponge will not hurt anything. It is the top sponge that keeps it out of your tank. I always run DI water through mine for 5 minutes (until the water clears), an then make sure that the flow is not too high (running the flow at a heavy boil will cause the GFO to break down). I've run Phosban, Rowa, and PhosLock in mine without any issues.

iwishtofish
02/26/2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about regarding the sponges...

I suppose that most people have the pump in whichever chamber of their sump has the least amount of suspended detritus, so that the reactor doesn't become a nitrate factory of sorts...maybe? :)

landlord
02/26/2008, 10:18 AM
With regars to placement in my sump, I have located the intake in the same chamber as the return pump. Some people will also T the return line to feed the reactor.

iwishtofish
02/26/2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks again, landlord - I was eyeing my return chamber for the mini-jet. The water seems cleanest there.