PDA

View Full Version : Boosting alkalinity in top off water?

Hobster
02/26/2008, 07:07 AM
I have switched my little 20L tank to soft corals. I had been dosing the top off with lime water from a auto top off on a timer.
The large 30 gal top off container now is just RO/DI.

A few times a week I need to add some additional water from a one gal jug due to changes in humidity, if the AC is on etc.

My question is: What would be a good starting point of how much baking soda to add to the one gal jug to try and keep the alk up a little?? It is usually around 2. something. I do have Randys 2 part system all mixed up but the tank no longer requires much Ca addition and I no longer need to test as often.

I am using Reef Crystals so things are pretty good to begin with.

Hobster
02/26/2008, 04:23 PM
Bump.

No one?, I thought it might be easy for you guys,:D

bertoni
02/26/2008, 08:01 PM
If this dosing is done in conjunction with regular testing, and calcium dosing, that approach can be made to work, but limewater generally is preferable because it adds the "balanced" amount of calcium to the system as it adds alkalinity.

Bonebrake
02/26/2008, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11952021#post11952021 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
If this dosing is done in conjunction with regular testing, and calcium dosing, that approach can be made to work, but limewater generally is preferable because it adds the "balanced" amount of calcium to the system as it adds alkalinity.

I agree. Just use limewater.