PDA

View Full Version : Tank Location

Chago09
02/26/2008, 01:37 PM
OK I am looking to place my tank somewhere different. I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. Obvioulsy there is a stand, hood, lights and all other equipment that is standard along with live rock, sand etc.

Am I pretty safe to say that with a tank of this size that I can pretty much place this tank anywhere on my main floor?? I live in a standrd Ontario Canada home which is a concrete basement with all 2 x 6 floor construction. I am thinking of just making sure the tank is against a exterior wall because below it would be concrete slab. Then just make sure that the floor boards are going perpendicular to the tank.

What you guys think????

Aquarist007
02/26/2008, 01:53 PM
make sure the room is very ventilated---if not we run into carbon dioxide problems which can lower pH--esp with the way our winter is turning out this year?

can you go under the floor with your sump etc--I can show you a setup up for that

an411
02/26/2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah as long as the boards are going perpendicular you should be find that is how I have my 120 setup for a while with no ill effects

Chago09
02/26/2008, 02:22 PM
ventilated???? its in my living room. Your saying we can get carbon dioxide in my room or in the tank??? I am confused lol I don't understand your first point about our cold winter.

Well your in hamilton and I have seen your pics before of the basement sump. Your house is probably built exactly same as mine since standards are the same from Hamilton to Georgetown.

Your tank is larger then mine. Yours is a 125 so I think I can assume that my 90 with 30 gallon sump will be fine. Remember 30 gallon sump will actually only be holding like 15 gallons of water while running. So really I have about a 100 gallon tank I guess, on a wood stand that will spread the weight over 4 feet.

What you think??

Chago09
02/26/2008, 08:07 PM
bump

Aquarist007
02/26/2008, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11948244#post11948244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
ventilated???? its in my living room. Your saying we can get carbon dioxide in my room or in the tank??? I am confused lol I don't understand your first point about our cold winter.

Well your in hamilton and I have seen your pics before of the basement sump. Your house is probably built exactly same as mine since standards are the same from Hamilton to Georgetown.

Your tank is larger then mine. Yours is a 125 so I think I can assume that my 90 with 30 gallon sump will be fine. Remember 30 gallon sump will actually only be holding like 15 gallons of water while running. So really I have about a 100 gallon tank I guess, on a wood stand that will spread the weight over 4 feet.

What you think??

carbon dioxide in our houses is a big factor in the lowering of pH in our tanks

1. last xmas we had the street or court party at our house. there were 15 people there and they were in and out of the small sitting room that the tank is in. The pH dropped from 8.0 to 7.7 by midnight. I opened the window for a few hours because it was frigging cold and the pH rose back to 8.0 overnight
(normally the nocturnal shift is pH is only to 7.8)

2. last summer my pH would constantly drop its overall range from 7.8 to 8.1 to 7.76 to 7.9. My sump had been moved to the basement from the last xmas before. The guys advised me to keep the basement window open all the times and it brought it back up. I also cranked more air through the skimmer

3.We have a small sitting room where the tank is. In the summer I have to have a stand alone fan in there increasing circulation. In the winter like right now I can't close the door on that room or it effects the temp of the tank and the pH.

this last sitution is why I suggested that you place your tank in a well vented area:smokin:

rbursek
02/26/2008, 08:24 PM
Your floor load is fine, same thing here in Wi. USA, fighting PH do to the winter!!!!

Chago09
02/26/2008, 08:26 PM
floor load fine as in I can put the tank absoltly anywhere I want right?? like does it have to be on the exterior wall or spread over floor boards??

Chago09
02/27/2008, 12:11 PM
bump

Aquarist007
02/27/2008, 08:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11956966#post11956966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
bump

I don't think you need an exterior wall but what I found is that the more floor joists you can straddle the better. If not the tank will shake with the give of the plywood when someone walks by.
the best senerio is to go perpendicular to the way the joists run then the tank won't move--something I wish I had done

Chago09
02/27/2008, 08:22 PM
wait your telling me your tank is parallel to the floor joists???? meaning your tank is probably sitting on 1 maybe 2 floor joists??? and your tank is a 125 gallon. Then I really have absolutly nothing to worry about then. I have one area where I wanted to place the tank on a angle. The tank would fit nicely there and the about 1/3 of the tank would be along the exterior wall. There rest would have floor joists running diagnoly through it.

I think I might choose that spot now.

Aquarist007
02/28/2008, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11961226#post11961226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
wait your telling me your tank is parallel to the floor joists???? meaning your tank is probably sitting on 1 maybe 2 floor joists??? and your tank is a 125 gallon. Then I really have absolutly nothing to worry about then. I have one area where I wanted to place the tank on a angle. The tank would fit nicely there and the about 1/3 of the tank would be along the exterior wall. There rest would have floor joists running diagnoly through it.

I think I might choose that spot now.

I believe I stated 'perpendicular' not parallel:eek2:

My tank actually is parallel to the floor joists--and when the grandkids run across that room the tank does move. the room is only 10 feet long, there is a steel beam under each end of it and it is on the outside wall---that really doesn't help the spongyness of the subfloor. If someone had set it up the way I suggested in the first place--parallell to the joists--this would not be a problem

BTW---the floor joists are also 10 inches--not 6 inches like you said yours were.
Its not the weight of the tank--its the cheap particle subfloors they put in these houses.